We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire for 5 young adults

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Car hire for 5 young adults

me and my friends are traveling to the states next month and are looking at hiring a car and driving from San Fran - LA - Vegas. seeing if it is better to hire the car at the airport or book online. i have seen a lot of things about car rental places charging people extra when they have a pre-paid booking and a few scams that come along, just wondering if any people have experienced any troubles and which companies to stay away from and which are the best in regards to get what you pay for?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

It is always better to book ahead on line.

You guys may have some trouble renting a car here because you are under 25 years old and many car companies add extra charges for young drivers because of insurance issues.

Most of the time for folks from Oz and the UK we suggest that you rent from an international company like

www.traveljigsaw.com.au I don't know if you can use it at your age but if yes then they will include all the insurance you'll need here.

I am also told that Hertz may have special rate for folks under 25 . On the web site make sure you let them know you are from Australia.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

I've tried booking online in advance, booking at the airport after I landed, booking online after I landed. My answer to your question is to combine the two. I've always gotten the best deals when I book online after I landed. For example, I landed in France and the price at the car rental counter was about $70.00, but the price online at pricelines "name your price" was $7.00!!! All the car rentals at the airport in the states are similar in car quality. To save some extra money, I'd suggest asking your credit card company if they have car rental insurance coverage, which is common for the states, and would save you extra money! Remember to fill up the fuel tank before returning the car, or else the rental company will charge you almost double the price of gasoline.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

JoeyH, You sound like you are a USA citizen? It is hard to tell since your location is not written under your screen name. You can go into your profile and add it.

Folks from the UK and Oz do not have insurance protection from their credit cards and so cannot use them to save money. They need to buy the insurance from the car rental company or from the on line web site. It is not the same if they are USA citizens.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,057 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

Agree with riff The new name for travel jigsaw is rentalcars.com. It is also suggested you sign up for the frequent renter program of the company you are hiring from and make sure your program number and Rez are connected

With 5 folks even though it may not be cool a mini van will work best for people and luggage

Edited: 27 May 2014, 14:29
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

Any rental agency will require that anyone who drives the car must be acknowledged in the rental agreement. There is often an additional charge per day per driver. That can really add up.

Limit the number of drivers to save money.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,057 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

Pareo there may be a young driver charge for additional drivers but in general there is no charge for a spouse or family member in Ca nor is there charge for additional employees on a corporate rental.

I don't know what the rules are if 4-5 random adults or 4-5 random (not related ) youth under 25 rent. Do you ?

Edited: 27 May 2014, 14:41
LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

I'm not sure of the California rules, but I know non-related additional US citizen drivers in Hawaii get a surcharge.

Relatives would presumably be covered by your US insurance policy.

If you are not US based, then there is no existing car insurance policy that will suffice.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

Hi Robert M

Are you planning to pick the car up after your tourism in San Francisco or to pay $$$ to have it parked in a fee parking lot during your visit to SF? Picking up your car downtown might be better.

Note that the company www.TravelJigsaw.com.au has an Australian phone number. (The parent company www.RentalCars.com does not.) Call them and ask about various cars, pick up locations, insurance, and under-age driver fees. Do not allow them to give you Fox or Dollar as your car rental company ~ too many bad stories. Maybe try Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National, or Enterprise.

9. Re: Car hire for 5 young adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:16