We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area idea needed

Calif
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Area idea needed

We are traveling from San Diego to Oregon with 2 cars and and a dog in August. The first night is in the SLO area and the second night is the problem. We are mostly driving on the 101 (except stopovers) to save time and since we have done the HWY 1 many times.

I am having a hard time finding a nice quaint place to stay that is not a fortune or a tacky type place by the freeway. We usually stay in nice B and B's but not sure of any who take dogs so far.

We prefer to stay South of San Francisco because of traffic and we have been there many times.

The day after this stay we will be going to Mendocino.

Any ideas ?

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Oregon
Oregon
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area idea needed

You got many responses here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k749107…

There are websites specifically listing dog friendly accommodations. South of SF on 101 is suburban and not much of what I'd call quaint. Saratoga or Los Gatos perhaps. Otherwise, head over the GG Bridge and try for Mill Valley.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Los Gatos
Los Gatos
California
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Escondido...
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area idea needed

Petaluma is only 266 miles from SLO...we stayed there on our way south and found it to be a very cute town for a stopover. The KOA there for camping is awesome! Anyway, you could get through San Framcisco before the bad traffic starts....just a suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Petaluma
Petaluma
Sonoma County, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,920 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area idea needed

Half Moon Bay was recommended in your previous thread. That would qualify, I think. However, you would need to veer from Hwy 101. I would not drive 101 to San Francisco after Monterey, anyway. On Hwy 101 after Morgan Hill, watch for Hwy 85, marked Mountain View. This bypasses the downtown San Jose traffic and is more pleasant as it runs through residential areas. Then watch for Hwy 280, marked San Francisco. This is a beautiful freeway running through the foothills of the coast range. When you get to Hwy 92 take the way to Half Moon Bay. This drops down to the coast. The town is small but cute, has quite a few lodgings, some on the ocean. Check for pet friendly. The next day, just go back up to Hwy 280 and continue on your way.

Mentioned in this post
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Morgan Hill
Morgan Hill
California
San Jose
San Jose
California
Calif
Level Contributor
120 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area idea needed

Hi - Finally remembered to look for this ! Thanks ! I think we need to stay So. Of SFO ... I hate planning car trip ! I need aTravel Agent ! LOL !!!

Mentioned in this post
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area idea needed

If you're sticking with Highway 101, then I wouldn't veer off Highway 101 with an overnight stop in Morro Bay, if this is still your plan.

I know you really want to stay south of SF on Day 2, but then you would have hellacious commute traffic the following morning to continue your drive north. Plus, SLO to "south of SF", is less than a 4 hour drive. I think you should try to find a spot north of SF on Day 2 and get a little further north of the city.

www.dogfriendly.com can help with finding lodgings that accept dogs.

Mentioned in this post
Morro Bay
Morro Bay
San Luis Obispo County, CA
6. Re: Area idea needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:15