We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sonoma to Monterey to San Francisco

Danvers...
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Sonoma to Monterey to San Francisco

This is my itinerary, 3 days in Sonoma, 2 in Monterey then back to San Francisco for 3

I'm trying to get an idea on how long a drive from Sonoma to Monterey. I'm guessing 4 hrs. I would like to take Cabrillo hwy (is this also PCH) down to Monterey. All the routes given by TA & AAA have me going inland.

Any suggestions?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,065 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sonoma to Monterey to San Francisco

(I am assuming you are speaking of the town of Sonoma, not general Sonoma County)

Four hours is about right, assuming no traffic between San Rafael and the Golden Gate bridge, but if you take Hwy 1 from San Francisco it will be a little more time and you may want to add time for stops along the way.

From the town of Sonoma, take Broadway south (this is Hwy 12). When you get to Hwy 37 (at the raceway) turn right and in 7 miles take the direction to San Francisco. After you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take the exit marked Park Presidio/19th Avenue and go through the city on this...timed traffic lights...you will go through a portion of Golden Gate Park. This automatically runs into Hwy 280, a freeway. If you take the exit marked Pacifica, it will take you to Hwy 1. Another alternative is to wait until the exit for Hwy 92/Half Moon Bay.

This is a nice and easy drive. One stop you may want to make....south of Half Moon Bay, watch for the sign to the tiny town of Pescadero. It is famous for a restaurant called Duarte's (pronounced Doo-Arts) which is famous for its olallieberry pies and artichoke soup. There is an interesting general store and an art gallery or two. When you get to Santa Cruz, you may want to stop for a coffee at one of the coffee houses or a snack at one of the many sidewalk cafes on Pacific Avenue. If so, as you go through town, watch for a large sign "River Street". Turn right and keep going until you see the parking structure next to the Wells Fargo Bank. Then walk away from the river, cross Front Street and go in the back door, and out the front, of the Bookshop Santa Cruz and you will be on Pacific Avenue.

From Santa Cruz, Hwy 1 goes inland and is freeway for the next 30 miles or so. Just keep following Hwy 1.

Enjoy your trip.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sonoma to Monterey to San Francisco

Thank you

3. Re: Sonoma to Monterey to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 06:16