We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California 8 day itinerary

Level Contributor
96 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
California 8 day itinerary

I've posted a lot of questions on here lately and you guys have helped me SO much. So I think I have my itinerary finalized and I want some opinions

Day 1 - fly into San Diego staying in old town at Best Western Old Town

Day 2 - jet pack America in mission bay ( then maybe go to LaJolla to kayak the cove)

Day 3 - drive early to Santa Monica and stay at Hotel California ( could also stay at Best Western Plus in Santa Monica) then rent bikes and bike to Venice

Day 4 - doing the Hollywood thing - sunset strip, hike up to sign (I know, but my son insists), studio tour ( not sure this will be fun because it's a holiday weekend), maybe try to catch a show taping ( not sure where or how to do this) ....my son wants the Hollywood thing but I have no idea how to do that so anyone have better ideas please give them.

Day 5 - last minute things in LA ( no idea ) then drive to Yosemite through Mariposa Grove and stay at Curry Village ( slightly worried about being eaten by bears. Lol) could stay in Oakhurst that night instead

Day 6 - horseback riding to mirror lake then hike Vernal Falls ...going to try to make Nevada Falls but pretty sure I will wimp out at Vernal

Day 7 - drive to San Fran stay at Cow Hollow

Day 8 - morning tour of Alcatraz (again teenager demands. Lol). Fisherman Warf and maybe bike over GG bridge

Day 9 - fly out of San Jose

Ok. Did I miss something or do you have another plan I should include. And do you think this is way too crazy and I will drop dead after day 3 from exhaustion. Lol thanks. I could never do this without you guys

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,475 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California 8 day itinerary

wow. 8 days and all this. Really. You may need a vacation after your vacation. Most suggest 3-4 days in SD, LA and SF but you want to do each city in a day and a half. Hike to the hollywood sign ? Do LA and YNP the same day (on the day you drive)

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California 8 day itinerary

It's busy, but many people enjoy busy.

Don't let the bears scare you away, it's the squirrels who'll getcha. :-) Just make sure you've stored all your food and toiletries in the bear box, not in your tent or your car. You'll be fine.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California 8 day itinerary

Stay at Hotel California in Santa Monica, like we said during your planning process. The other hotel is mid-city and near nothing but a hospital (read: ambulance noise late nights). You'll be far happier near the promenade and your son will too, especially because you're likely to see fireworks from the beach or Palisades Park that night.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,076 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California 8 day itinerary

Bears in Yosemite don't like people. Bears in Yosemite like people's food! From the Top Questions on the Yosemite page:

Yosemite National Park: Bears in Yosemite tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c159048

Mirror Lake will be Mirror Meadow in July.

Vernal Fall trail will be packed.

More info on the Yosemite forum page.

5. Re: California 8 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 06:17