We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

I am wondering if Los Gatos would be a bad location for a two day visit to the Santa Cruz area. It would save us a lot on lodging, which we could spend actually doing things. I see on mapquest it is about a 25 minute drive. I am not too worried about that. In the couple days in Santa Cruz, we wanted to visit the Boardwalk one day and do the Roaring Camp Railroad for the kids. We would love to be able to see any sea-life (not at an aquarium) or tide-pools. Suggestions?

LA
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

You will pay with stress for having to drive Highway 17 to and from your accommodation.

Los Gatos is not a good location to visit Santa Cruz. Capitola or Aptos would be better.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,428 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

check the Santa Cruz forum and Puter the DE can help you find a hotel in your budget. There is traffic on Highway 17 and it is a winding road. Google does not take that into account

sea life check out elkhourn slough.

N California
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

Plenty of people in San Jose area do day trips to the beach that way. It's workable, but a winding, heavily travelled road. Not a good idea for weekend or holiday days, as traffic really stacks up going to the coast then.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

It's not ideal for reasons already stated. Commuting on 17 in the summer is not the best use of your time. What are your dates and budget?

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

We will be in Santa Cruz for July 21-24. I am considering booking the Best Western in Scott's Valley at 150/night. Any suggestions for anything cheaper? Problem I am having is we are traveling with 4 small kids (under 6 and under). When I plug that into expedia, etc. it says that our kids exceeds the max for that hotel. So frustrating. Our youngest is 6 months and would sleep in our pack n play and the other 3 are small enough to share a queen.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

I am looking via the Expedia phone app and it lets you put in ages of the kids to include a baby less than 1y. I found a number of BW in Capitola and Aptos for about $150-160/night before tax. Some are 2 queens and one Jr suite. These are beach towns and would be much better than Scotts Valley. I THINK the drive to the Boardwalk from these would be better too.

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

How about the Best Western Seacliff Inn in Aptos?

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

That's one of the one I saw. I think it would be better than Scotts Valley. Let's see if our Santa Cruz local Puter and others are around to chime in.

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

Update: I found a room at the Comfort Inn Santa Cruz for 129 and booked it. I know that it is a budget motel and don't expect much more. For the price it works. I noticed on tripadvisor (after booking) that only 44% or so would recommend it, but on Expedia 81% would. Big difference.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Gatos for Santa Cruz area vacation

Celisse,,

I am out of town and. Just saw your messages. You have good advice above. Los Gatos is just before Hwy 17 begins its climb over the Coast Range. For 8 miles it is winding. The Best Western in Scott's Valley is just after the winding road becomes freeway, but in both of these cases you will in beach traffic both going into SC and coming back.

if you have chosen the Comfort Inn at the Boardwalk I would advise to cancel. The area on that side of the Boardwalk is troublesome. There is a nice Comfort Inn on Plymouth Street in town and a Best Western next to it.

I believe you mentioned the Seacliff Inn in Aptos. This is a nice property bu is about 8-10 miles from town and has heavy commuting traffic at times.

I will check in tomorrow after we get home and I don't have to deal with this IPad.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 01:40