We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

Seal Beach...
2 posts
Save Topic
A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking a road trip from LA to Placerville, (for a family event.) We would like to stop along the way as we head up the coast. We will have 3 full days and nights to work with. My boyfriend has never been on this drive, so I want to make it special. Please recommend places to stay, eat and fun things to do.

We are young professionals in our early 30's. We like wining and dining, and enjoy nightlife. Our budget is somewhat flexible. Looking for romantic ideas :)

So far I came up with the following

Day One

LA - to Santa Barbara - (lunch & explore)

Santa Barbara - Paso Robles (wine tasting)

Overnight in SLO - (Madonna Inn & drinks out on the town)

Day Two

Cambria, Carmel, Big Sur & Monterrey

**not sure what order we should stop in and which we should stay overnight?

Day Three

San Francisco

**need recommendation on how we should spend our day/night in the City

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

Well, Carmel is the epitome of "romantic". Many, many honeymoons are spent there. I live too near to personally recommend a lodging, but from experience some years ago I would recommend a quaint and smaller property with a courtyard and a lovely free breakfast and lots of blooming flowers. :~). Some would recommend the Tickle Pink Inn or the Highlands Inn, which are next to each other on a bluff with great views, but from there you cannot stroll the quaint streets of Carmel and choose a restaurant, but are stuck there unless you drive into town. (My opinion)

You will drive:through the Big Sur Coast on your way to Carmel/Monterey and there are many things to see. You will want to stop and enjoy them. Nepenthe is a restaurant on top of a bluff with gorgeous views.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 00:56
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,731 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

You won't have time for wine tasting in both Santa Ynez and Paso Robles on Day 1. Since Paso is north of SLO, I would skip it and focues on Santa Ynez/Los Olivos for wine tasting. But please use discretion and don't drink and drive. Use the spittoons instead of swallowing. Dining SLO: Novo or just eat at the Madonna Inn. Be sure to order a slice of their champagne cake.

Day 2: Morro Bay, Cambria, the elephant seal rookery, McWay Falls @ Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, lunch at Nepenthe, Bixby Bridge, Point Lobos State Reserve, Carmel Beach, overnight. Lodging: Monterey Plaza Hotel, Casa Munras, Normandy Inn, Tickle Pink, Seven Gables Inn, Green Gables Inn. Dining: Pacific's Edge at the Highlands Inn, Hula's Island Grill, Grasings, Demetra, Fandango, Passionfish

Day 3: Santa Cruz, SF

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

Loved our stay at the Highlands Inn a few years back, very romantic. They give you bathrobes and binoculars for watching the otters eat shellfish. Restaurant is very good. So what if it is isolated, we just drove into town one night, no problem, just take it easy on the alcohol.

Seal Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

Thanks everyone! We are really looking forward to it! :)

5. Re: A (Quick) Romantic Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:16