We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to start?

New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
what to start?

Hello

I think I am trying to do too much in a short amount of time and need assistance in planning. I am planning our summer vacation for the 4 of us (2 teenage boys 15,17). We plan to visit for 7 or 8 nights. We would like to visit San Francisco, Red Wood Forest (a must), and a possible trip to LA (visit relatives). I would like to do something fun with the kids as they never been to California. I would consider flying from LA to SF to save time. I am coming from New York.

Thanks for any advice.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to start?

For the redwoods, Muir Woods is just north of SF ans can be visited by tours or driving yourself. Henry Cowell is further south and folks visit on the way to Santa Cruz and Monterey. If you are talking about far north CA redwoods, those are at least 4 hrs away from SF.

So... SF - 4 nights including Muir Woods, then fly to LA and home from there? Definitely feasible. Are you doing tourism in LA too? How many days there and what do the teens want to do? You are missing the central coast drive but you may or may not want to pack that in.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,219 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to start?

There is a wealth of info in the SF and LA top questions. Please start there and as Chinita said we have two redwood groves close by with Muir being closest. There is info on what to do and see in SF in those Top Questions

3. Re: what to start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 07:16