We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine and beaches in February

2 posts
Save Topic
wine and beaches in February

We're a thirty-something couple escaping our 2 children for a week in February and I am considering going to California because we don't want to spend 12 hours on a plane (we live in Québec, Canada). The 3 things we both agree on doing is hitting the beach, hiking in a national park and doing a wine tour. And we want to be warm doing it! Any suggestions...

Alcatraz Island
Historic Sites, Islands, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Muir Woods National Monument
Forests, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Redwood National Park
National Parks, Parks, State Parks, Hiking Trails
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine and beaches in February

Oh wow, beach and wine can be done in February, but warm ? Hmmm......maybe southern California and Temicula wine country? I bow to my southern California colleagues. (At least it will be warmer than Quebec.)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,802 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine and beaches in February

The coast of California will be warmer than Quebec in February but it will not be HOT like Florida or the Caribbean! The Pacific Ocean temp is always chilly.

IF land temps in the 60sF(maybe going up into the low 70sF) will be "warm" for you then come on down! Otherwise look at Florida, Mexico, the Caribbean etc.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 16:18
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,892 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wine and beaches in February

Climatologists see a wet/snowy winter ahead. February could be a cold, wet, blustery mess. But, then, we've also seen some nice, warm February days. The problem is that no one here can guarantee "warm" weather during a winter visit. And definitely not in the national parks. There will be snow and ice in places like Yosemite and Sequoia.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wine and beaches in February

That's what I thought...I guess we're better off looking at Florida!

Thanks.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,003 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wine and beaches in February

Oh, Nancy, do yourselves a favor and hop on over to St. Croix, one of the USVIs; it's rural, beautiful, full of fun beaches and their own tasty rum!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,829 posts
6,058 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine and beaches in February

San Diego is rather perfect almost year round (yes - there is some rainy days) but its a good choice for February. Nearby San Diego is Temecula winery region.

www.temeculawines.org/wineries-vineyards/

and for hiking in a national park, drive to nearby Joshua Trees National Park in Palm Springs. Palm Springs also has some spectacular canyons such as the Indian Canyons

http://indian-canyons.com/

Beach areas are great this time of year - note: locals think its too cold but stay away. I was in Ontario Canada last year and people were having a great time in 50 degree C weather on Wasaga Beach. Its very likely it will be 20 degrees F warmer than that at the beach. You will find many here saying its too cold - its not - and its lovely.

I have seen lovely beautiful warm days in February to rainy days.

Have fun deciding where to go.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wine and beaches in February

I agree with Mini. San Diego even has decent water temps at the beach for swimming. Temecula has some really good wineries.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,359 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wine and beaches in February

I guess it really depends on what you mean by warm and what you want to do at the beach. If you want to bake in the sun, then chances of that in CA in Feb are slim. But if you want nice moderate temps where you can wander around without a jacket, then SD is a perfect choice. Californians enjoy the beaches year round - we just don't lay out and swim in the winter.

Level Contributor
36,631 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wine and beaches in February

San Diego or Laguna Beach would both be good choices for nice beaches. San Diego is a larger city with lots to do. :)

10. Re: wine and beaches in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16