We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles trip

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Los Angeles trip

My 14 yr old son and myself are going on a 6 day trip to California. We arrive at LAX at 1:30 pm (8/3/14) and depart from there at 6:00 am (8-10-14) by alligient air which cost me 1000. We want to visit the following places: Disneyland, magic mountain, universal studios(not sure?) Alcatraz in San Francisco which is a drive? What do u suggest we do ? We also want to sight see if possible like the Hollywood sign, walk of stars, Golden Gate Bridge) I'm renting a car for all days

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,676 posts
5,812 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Angeles trip

For a six day trip, I would probably just focus on Southern California.

I would stay 2 to 3 days in Anaheim area by Disneyland, and 3 days in Hollywood area.

Disneyland/California Adventure takes 2 days or so to see them especially with summer crowds. You could then also go to a nearby beach area such as Huntington Beach and also Long Beach to see the Queen Mary and the aquarium,.

Then stay in Hollywood. You can drive from Hollywood to do a full day in Magic Mountain, next day Universal, and then Hollywood things (Hollywood sign, walk of fame, perhaps a movie at El Capitan or Chinese Theater). If you opt not to do Universal, an alternative might be the Warner Brothers Tour. If you have additional time you might consider seeing Griffith Observatory or exploring the beach areas of Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice Beach.

While seeing San Francisco, the coast, and Alcatraz would be great, six days and doing as many theme parks as you are doing, I would just focus on Southern California attractions and sites for this trip. It would make for a good trip without spending an entire day (its 400 miles from LA to San Francisco) devoted just to transit.

There is enough to do in the LA/Anaheim area to easily have a really fun six days.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Angeles trip

Los Angeles and San Francisco are two big cities about 400 miles apart. If you drive between them, it takes about 7 to 8 hours each way. So you would be losing 1 day total to driving. Alcatraz is an island. You would need to take a ferry there from Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco.

5 days is not quite enough for both cities. You may want to re-consider and stay with one of them only.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Angeles trip

This was my plan Sunday: see Hollywood

Monday and Tuesday : Disneyland

Wednesday : Magic Mountain

Thursday: maybe universal

Friday: drive to San francISCO

SAT: Alcatraz and head back

Any tips.

I have 24 to cancel flights so I was thinking maybe I could use priceline name your price tickets from Dan Francisco so I won't drive back. Idk . I'm from Texas and saved a lot to go so it will never happen again

Edited: 03 July 2014, 10:24
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,954 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Angeles trip

Winkdsr, welcome to the forums.

If you can fly into LAX and out of SFO, you can do what you want to do. Would anyone here recommend that? Probably not.

Driving from LA to SF just to see Alcatraz is akin to driving from Oklahoma City to Galveston just to see the Gulf. It is a lot of pain for a small reward.

But be that as it may,

Sunday: see Hollywood - drive to Anaheim, check into hotel

Monday and Tuesday : Disneyland & California Adventure

Wednesday : Magic Mountain - check out from Anaheim, leave 6AM, drop bags at hotel in Valencia

Thursday: Either do SFMM or Hurricane Harbor at SFMM

Friday: drive to San FrancIsco via 5 Freeway, stop at Harris Ranch to eat

SAT: Alcatraz - fly back from SFO

It is a very abbreviated agenda and if you can not fly out of SFO, I'd never do it.

Actually I'd never do it anyway, but it is your trip and if that is what you want to see then do it.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Angeles trip

Way too rushed, stick to Southern California. If you are from Texas then fly back and visit San Francisco another time to do it justice.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,214 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Angeles trip

Yeah, I like to cram things in but you're making your life miserable with this itinerary. If you must see these sites (I'd skip one of the theme parks but that's up to you), I'd fly to SF instead of driving. There are frequent, inexpensive 1-hour flights from all of the local airports. If you drive the interstate to SF, you won't see any scenery anyway and you won't want/need a car in SF (expensive parking -- great public transit). Besides, you'll be wasting the better part of a day driving plus all of that gas, the cost of the car rental and then you have to dump the car and make your way (more time and expense) to your hotel.

BTW, I'm guessing that Scott (above) meant to include Universal instead of Six Flags for 2 days in a row.

It really helps if you include your city of residence with your screen name, It also helps if you tell us how much you're paying for your airfare. This way, we'd be able to make recs re: landing at an airport other than LAX. If, for example, you were flying out of Dallas, you could fly US Airways' 6:15 departure for $192 which lands at Bob Hope Airport (airport code BUR), at 9:00. Fare is $192. BUR is 15 minutes from Universal or 25 minutes from Six Flags.

So, if you did those 2 parks in the first 2 days (you can squeeze in a visit -- or 2 -- to Hollywood at any time -- early morning before the parks open, or evenings since the Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, etc never close), you can then head to Anaheim for 2 days. I would dump the car once you're in Anaheim since there are dozens of hotels within walking distance of Disneyland. After 2 days there, hop onto a cheap southwest.com flight from SNA (near Disneyland) to OAK or SFO or from LGB (Long Beach via Jet Blue) to SFO or even from LAX on any number of carriers (virginamerica.com, etc).

The flights take an hour and you needn't be at the airport more than an hour before take off. With such a short trip during the summer -- when 'big clothes' aren't needed, concentrating on theme parks (mostly), you should be able to travel light using carryon luggage only. This will save you time (no waiting at baggage claim)

From SFO or OAK, take BART (the metro into the city -- quick, cheap and easy). This will give you 1-1/2 more days to accomplish your itinerary (there's a lot more to see in SF than Alcatraz!),

Here's a recap:

Sunday: land at BUR in the morning. Go to SFMM or Universal (Squeeze in Hollywood in the evening)

Monday: Go to SFMM or Universal (squeeze in Hollywood in the morning)

Tuesday and Wednesday : Disneyland & California Adventure

Thursday: fly to SF, visit Alcatraz + ?

Friday: one more day at SF or partial day plus drive back to LA for return flight

SAT: fly home from SFO, OAK, BUR, LGB, or LAX

Happy planning.

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Angeles trip

Thank you. I decided to drive to San Francisco and fly to Texas from there. One more question if possible:

I am staying at Anaheim for the first three nights

On Wednesday I plan to go to universal studios and Thursday we go to magic mountain. Friday I drive to San Francisco though interstate 5. What hotel or hotels (location) should I get for those days. I haveno idea. Something that would maybe allow me to drive to Los Angeles to see different places before I drive to San Francisco.

8. Re: Los Angeles trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 07:17