We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Undecided struggling

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Undecided struggling

Have looked at various itineraries both in California and further afield.

We are now totally confused but have decided to stick to California

We are a couple in our late fifties, love scenic drives, sightseeing and shopping

Hate hiking

We arrive at Los Angeles airport at 12.45 on Monday 15th September and leave 2nd October

The list of places we want to visit are

Palm Springs

Joshua Tree NP

Death Valley

Sequoia/Kings Canyon

Eastern Sierra

Mono Lake

Lake Tahoe

Monterey or somewhere in that area

Big Sur

Cambrian

Los Angeles

Where in the trip would you suggest two night stays

It is likely we will not return to the USA due to rising travel insurance costs so is there anything we have missed we have been to LV and SF on other trips

We do like to do a lot of shopping and don't mind driving through national parks as we don't like hiking of any description

Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Undecided struggling

If you try to see all of those places in 17 days by car you will not have to worry about two night stays. You won't have time. Have you looked at the mileage distances between them?

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Undecided struggling

We are very early risers. And don't mind four to five hours driving it's all part of the fun for us

Are the places in the correct order of. Travel

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Undecided struggling

Rising travel insurance cost Really.

Are you driving or is this a tour ? Feels like a tour.

Less is more

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Undecided struggling

Yes really rising travel insurance costs in the uk especially for the USA

Yes we are driving have done a number of road trips the USA

Your answer was not really very helpful more of a comment bello miser!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Undecided struggling

There are some minor issues with order and yes it can be done... our standard answers apply... you always need more time, and everything is too far apart... Where you add extra time will be more likely based personal interests...

Stringing your list together

you start in LA... Palm Springs is an easy drive... its good for shopping and sun and golf... You can make the drive from Palm Springs through Joshua Tree (if you are not hiking Joshua tree is a good drive through park) to Death Valley in a day... Death Valley is worth two days...

The Eastern Sierra and Mono Lake are one and the same...

You haven't listed Yosemite... but have Sequoia... If this is your only trip do Yosemite over Sequioa (Yosemite has "Big Trees") I am asking because the obvious way to get from the Eastern Sierra is over Tioga pass through Yosemite... If you still want Sequoia it is a bit south of Yosemite...

Why Tahoe? It is a wonderful big Sierra lake... but you are seeing the Sierras at either/or Yosemite and Sequoia... and depending your route could be out of the way... You have a couple of options... from Mono Lake head north on Hwy 395 to Tahoe, then south to Sequoia, or from Mono Lake go over Tioga through Yosemite, then south to Sequoia and or north to Tahoe...

I don't see San Francisco on the list... if visiting SF insert here...

Monterey, Big Sur and Cambria are all on Hwy 1 and would be visited in that order when headed south... towards LA and time there before flying home..

Randy

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,112 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Undecided struggling

Well I would halve the number of places to see OP. I cannot help you do that as I don't know much about what you really like or what you want to do and see. I would do Palm Springs and use that for JTNP and then do say lone pine and 2-3 days in Yosemite and then 2 in Monterey and Pismo beach and then end up in la

That is what I mean by less is more

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Undecided struggling

Thanks Randy

You are right I forgot to add Yosemite it's a must been to SF a number of years ago not going this trip

8. Re: Undecided struggling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2017, 20:30
Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Undecided struggling

Thanks bellomiser I think 3 days in Yosemite would be too much for us as we only drive through not do walks or hikes we only stayed in Yellowstone 2 days 1 night

Edited: 09 July 2014, 22:44
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,775 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Undecided struggling

Palm Springs and Death Valley will be extremely hot, most likely - nearing 120. Just so you know.

Have you been to LA before? That takes a few days to see.