We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

I have a question about the driving the coast on Highway 1. I have been wracking my brains trying to figure out the best way to work in this drive on our trip.

Our original plan was to go to San Francisco and Yosemite. I booked Yosemite first, since it fills up. We have reservations for June 1-7 there. We were going to fly to SF, do several days there, then drive to Yosemite. I had planned on taking a drive down the coast during our SF stay.

However, the more I read about the drive, the more I realize that we should spend 2-3 days doing it. I want to stop off in Monterey and do things there, explore some beaches and coves along the way, etc. There are parks I would like to see such as Point Lobos and Pfeiffer. There is so much to see there. We were planning about a week to do both SF and the coastal drive.

So I need some help. How can we do this without a lot of backtracking? I really only want to go as far south as Cambria or maybe Morro Bay. I do NOT want to go to the LA area at all.

Should we fly to SF and spend a few days there, then do Highway 1, then drive back up to Yosemite? Or should we do the coastal drive first, then SF, then Yosemite from there? OR should we do Yosemite, then SF, then coastal drive? With this last option, we would have to change the trip dates from last week of May/first week of June to the first two weeks of June. Just trying to figure out the best itinerary without driving back and forth too much.

I hope this is all not confusing...I know I am confused and cannot figure out the best way to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,921 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

SF, Monterey, Cambria, Yosemite, SFO.

Here is the map.

http://goo.gl/maps/7N6rq

Drive out to the Cliff House from SF and then take Highway 1 all the way down to Monterey. Stop in spots like Moss Beach, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, etc.

In Cambria we love the hotels on Moonstone Beach (FogCatcher Inn, Best Western Plus Fireside Inn and the Blue Dolphin Inn).

Keep the Yosemite reservations and do SF first.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

I think the loop trip I offered in the other OP's thread works best for you, since you have that week before Yosemite for SF and the coast:

SF>Monterey>Cambria>Yosemite>SF

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

Looks like that route is unanimous so far.

scott, those hotels look amazing. What incredible views!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

well agree with Scott and Kibbles. I think Kibbles was nice enough to send you a PM with suggestions.

You have your YNP reservations. Now I would look at SF and see if hotel prices are better based on doing Monterey first or last. That imho would make me switch the trip around

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,921 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

They are cool carmela. I think you have a good handle on my tastes from the Orlando Forum :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

The route is basically a circle. Doesn't matter which way you go around it from a scenery perspective. Obviously your Yosemite plans are a stake in the ground. Belo makes a good point that conventions in the city or a big event on the Monterey Peninsula could determine which way you make your way around.

Monterey will be more expensive on weekends. SF won't make much difference on price but might on availability.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

Usually I suggest the clockwise direction so that you end in Monterey, closer to SFO. But if you're considering SF at the beginning OR at the end, then SFO - Monterey - Cambria - Yosemite - SF - SFO makes sense.

Great plans!

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

Another question...say we leave Cambria for Yosemite around 7 am and get to Yosemite around noon. Would it be a good idea to see the Mariposa Grove of trees at that time, since we are coming in from that direction? Or would it be too crowded at that time? As I understand it, it is another hour drive to the Valley from there, so if we saw the trees on the way we would not have to backtrack to see them another day.

Or is it best just to go straight to the Lodge to check in? Is there any advantage to checking in earlier, such as room choice?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

I see I have left everyone stumped and speechless with this question.

Don't make me go to Yelp for help

10. Re: Working Highway 1 Coastal Drive into our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16