We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 4 spare days in California?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with 4 spare days in California?

Ok, so I have 16 days in California in total, the first two are being spent in Las Vegas so I can do a Grand Canyon Tour, I then have 4 days unaccounted for, before spending 4 days in Los Angeles with a friend and the final 7 days I'm planning to spend in San Francisco..

I'm going to be travelling solo (aside from those 4 days in LA) and I don't drive, so has anyone got any recommendations for what I can do during that time? I don't mind having hectic days, but I'm just not sure where to go! Thanks in advance :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

I'm getting technical here, but you don't have 16 days in California if 2 are being spent in LV -- which is located in the state of Nevada. (Good idea to get the lay of the land.)

So you don't drive and are looking for something between LV and LA? Obviously you'll have to fly. I would suggest San Diego. You could then take the train from SD to LA.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

Help us out here. Urban or nature? Relaxing or active? Desert, mountains, or beach?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

I'm pretty open to anything, a love a good hike and I wouldn't mind spending a few days in a national park perhaps, but then I love urban landscapes too. I definitely want it to be more active than relaxing, since I want to make the most of my time there but other than that I haven't got a particular criteria

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

And I did think about San Diego but I'll be arriving in the USA in a few weeks, right around comic-con so I figured San Diego would be more expensive with that going on

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

Just curious, how is the OP to get to a National Park or some desert oasis (from Las Vegas) if she doesn't drive?

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,011 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

If not San Diego (a good choice) then perhaps a couple of days in Santa Barbara? Lovely city, fine beaches, but not sure you'll easily fill 4 days there.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,934 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

When you get to San Francisco, take a 2 or 3 day tour to Yosemite! Extranomical & Incredible Adventures have camping tours. Or just take Amtrak + YARTS and do it yourself.

Or if the 4 days must be from Las Vegas, take a tour to Zion NP.

Here is a 4 day trip from Las Vegas that includes the Grand Canyon & Monument Valley (none of which are in California ....) LAS VEGAS TO GRAND CANYON MINI http://www.trekamerica.com/tours/xlv.html

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

Don't know about the frequency (or cost) of flying LV to SB but that's a good idea. Easy train from SB to LA also. SB however is usually an expensive airport to use. Same could be said of San Luis Obispo (although I have no idea if you can fly from LV to SLO).

You could fly LV to Orange county and hang on the beach at Laguna or similar. Again, then train to LA.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

I did think of Santa Barbara but it doesn't look like you can fill 4 days, I was hoping there might be somewhere near by that I could go - say 3 days in Santa Barbara and another 2 days else where?

I don't mind flying about a fair bit or catching some buses, although I know buses will eat up my time.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with 4 spare days in California?

<<4 days, I was hoping there might be somewhere near by that I could go - say 3 days in Santa Barbara and another 2 days else where? >>

This must be the new math. How does 3 days in SB + 2 days elsewhere = 4 days?

Is there travel time involved in these 4 days? If so, then trying to do more than one destination via public transit isn't economical from a time standpoint.

"Nearby" ... do you realize that the state of California is the size of the island you live on? "Short jaunts" aren't what this state is all about. And why car is king.

There have been a lot of good ideas here. Good luck.