We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from San Francisco to LA

Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best route from San Francisco to LA

I know some of the places to stay and have booked hotels near santa cruz and pilsmo beach as our 2 over night stays.

My question relates to the best route to take.

ie i note that from san fransico you can take Highway 1 almost immediately passing through ano nuevo and onto santa cruz or you can go through route 101 or the 280 to san jose and then route 17 to santa cruz

what route would you take - i fancy seeing the seals at ano nuevo but if there are seals elsewhere on the PCH 1 then i assume that its best to join PCH 1 at Santa Cruz.

then at pilsmo beach do most people use the 101 rather than the PCH 1 to get back to where the 101 and the PCH 1 meet near Gavito state park.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,518 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

I would use the 280 to 17 route. You can see sea lions or elephant seals at other locations, such as along Ocean Boulevard in Monterey, at Point Lobos SNR, Jade Cove or Piedras Blancas. Instead of the Pismo Beach overnight stop, consider staying at either San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria or San Simeon. From San Luis Obispo take Highway 101 south to Santa Barbara and on into Los Angeles.

Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

hi why not pismo beach? whats the advantage of the other places mentioned

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

I had the same question...why not Pismo?

I would stay in Pismo over most of the other options. In fact I'm staying there now.

Cambria is nice especially if you are visiting Hearst Castle. And Santa Barbara is good but too far south imho.

Pismo stays open later than the other coastal towns and has lots of shops and restaurants.

Where are you staying in Pismo?

Edited: 23 July 2014, 13:32
Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

we have booked the lighthouse suites

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

No need to take Highway 1 from Pismo to Gaviota. It isn't a route along the ocean like Pacifica to Morro Bay is. It's just a road through farm and ranch land which would just slow you down in getting to where you want to go next.

Pismo Lighthouse Suites is a good choice. Best to book an upstairs room, though, if possible.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

The Pismo Lighthouse Suites are in a good central location. Pismo is a great town; I don't know why someone wouldn't recommend it. The Ventana Grill is just a couple of minutes down the street, and it has one of the most scenic locations in the area. The food is excellent too.

South of Pismo Beach, take Highway 101. Neither Highway 1 nor Highway 101 are on the ocean south of Pismo until Gaviota. This stretch of Highway 1 is a very slow road that passes through farmland and by a military base, and isn't very scenic compared to what you will have seen on the way.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 14:08
Aberdare
Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

thanks for all the advice.

8. Re: best route from San Francisco to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16