We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Hi

I have realised I have made a boob with my plan, I have booked Car hire (lo leave in vegas) and booked a hotel in Vegas - these can be cancelled. I have basically planned to go from Yosemite to the Canyon then to Vegas , but looks like Vegas should have been first.

This is best I can come up with keeping bookings as they are:

Day 1 Yosemite curry village drive to Furnace Creek stop the night (7/ 8 hours driving)

Day 2 Furnace Creek to Grand Canyon - stay the night (7 hours driving)

Day 3 @ Canyon

Day 4 drive to Vegas and stop

Day 8 Fly to LA

Question is this ok? Or should I cancel and do:

Day 1 Yosemite Curry Village to Vegas

Day 4 Vegas to the canyon - stop 2 nights

Day 8 Drive to LA

Which makes the best sense?

In a driving sense I am use it driving 250 / 300 miles a day in the UK.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
1. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Um, I'm a little confused too. I think your second option makes a little more sense, but you plan on driving from Las Vegas to Yosemite and back for just 1 night? What is your entire itinerary?

When are you coming?

Edited: 16 April 2016, 15:52
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

July 1st- July 8th are the dates

I have set the 8 days out on both itinerary below are the nights if that helps.

Above there is no plan of Vegas to Yosemite.

Its drive yosemite to Vegas then the Canyon to LA , or Yosemite to Furnace creek on to the canyon then to Vegas and fly to LA. I have 7 nights to split this across.

i.e

1 night Furnace Creek

2 nights Canyon

4 nights Vegas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
365 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

On the drive from Yosemite, I would take my time and enjoy the first half (mono lake etc...) and come into death valley in the late afternoon. Plan for it - it can be dangerous -- the high temperature can be 120 and the low temperature only dropping to 90. Have gallons of water with you. Vegas and the Canyon will be hot too. The drive to the canyon the next day will be long, but the canyon is way out there, there is no way around that.

In my long-suffering experience, nobody needs 4 nights in vegas. In my younger days I adopted a 2 night max. Now, its 36 hours.

Since you're willing to fly out of vegas, perhaps you do furnace-vegas-grand canyon and then down to phoenix and fly to LA from there. Phoenix is a little shorter drive than back to vegas, and you can swing through Sedona which is cool.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
4. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Day 1: drive over Tioga Pass (very scenic) to Death Valley - Stovepipe Wells maybe?

Day 2: get a really early start, enjoy Death Valley for a couple hours, drive to Las Vegas

Day 3-5 Las Vegas (maybe reduce just 2 nights?)

Day 6 drive to Grand Canyon

Day 7 Grand Canyon

Day 8 really long drive to LA (or do this drive over 2 days)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c1…

Edited: 16 April 2016, 16:57
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Thank you guys - it sounds like I need to change the route from what you are both saying, Las Vegas before the Grand Canyon - which is a bummer as I have a really good deal in the ARIA and wanted to be in Vegas for July 4th celebrations. Oh well thanks for your time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

See https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c1… for an alternative

Day 1 Yosemite Curry Village to Lone Pine

Day 2 Lone Pine to Death Valley to Las Vegas

Day 3 Las Vegas

Day 4/5 LV to Grand Canyon National Park (2 nights)

Day 6: GCNP Sedona AZ

Day 7 Sedona to Phoenix

Day 8 Fly to LA

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,574 posts
7. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

I thought with my plan you would be in Vegas for 4th of July (days 3-5). You could fly to LA from Phoenix if you prefer not to drive. You could also spend just 1 night in Grand Canyon and increase your nights in LV?

July 1 - drive to Lone Pine, Panamint Springs or Stoveipe Wells. (Wake up early and enjoy a bit of Death Valley)

July 2- 6 - Las Vegas

July 7 - overnight at Grand Canyon, view sunset and maybe sunrise over the canyon

July 8 - drive to Phoenix for an afternoon or evening flight to Los Angeles

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Hi Again

Plan 2 is what everyone seems to be commenting on.

it would be better Not to have to cancel my hotel and the car hire as the prices are massively different to rebook when I have looked in to it based the kind suggestions.

So specifically is this part doable (Not going Vegas first):

June 29th arrive Yosemite

June 30th Yosemite

July 1st Yosemite curry village drive to Furnace Creek stop the night (7/ 8 hours driving)

July 2nd Furnace Creek to Grand Canyon - stay the night @ Canyon (7 hours driving)

July 3rd Grand Canyon walking etc then stay the night

July 4th - arrive in Vegas

The driving times are a combination of google and what people say (so my interpretation).

We want to spend time at Yosemite & the Grand Canyon.

My view is the towns in between are just a part of the trip to get to the Grand Canyon but I am conscious all the driving my feel like were not on holiday.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,677 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Yes, I think it is feasible. It has some long drives, so start early.

July 1st ~ Yosemite Valley through Tuolumne Meadows down the eastern Sierra to Death Valley:

https:/…Travel-g28926-c182361

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
171 reviews
10. Re: Yosemite - GC - Vegas - Help with plan have I got it wrong

Hello: OK -- looks like you've changed your question. From which plan is better (which we answered) to is my original plan doable. As PNWF said -- Yes it is doable. But here's one tweak/recommendation: Cancel your Half Dome Village reservation and stay in Lee Vining or Mammoth Lakes. Then take your time on June 30th explore Tioga Road and arrive late on the Eastern end of Yosemite yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/yosemite-tioga-… This will still let you explore Yosemite and save you 3-4 hours on your drive to Death Valley on July 1st. But this only makes sense if you arrive early June 29th to explore Yosemite Valley. Or if you are willing to spend more time exploring Tioga Road than Yosemite Valley.

June 29th arrive Yosemite

June 30th Yosemite (change to Lee Vining / Mammoth Lakes)

July 1st Lee Vining to Furnace Creek stop the night (5 hours driving)

July 2nd Furnace Creek to Grand Canyon - stay the night @ Canyon (7 hours driving)

July 3rd Grand Canyon walking etc then stay the night

July 4th - arrive in Vegas