We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on Colorado trip

Lake Charles, La
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
advice on Colorado trip

My husband and I along with our two teenage daughters are thinking of going to Colorado in June. We are looking to go to one place to enjoy good food, shopping and sightseeing for kids and adults. With one of my daughters disabilities, we can't do anything that involves a lot of walking or similar activities. Any suggestions?

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on Colorado trip

Downtown and Lower Downtown would be a good area. There are many restaurants to choose from, many with outside seating so you can get a good meal and watch the people go by. There is shopping on Larimer Street in the historic Lower Downtown and also in the Tabor Center and along the 16th Street Mall which is a pedestrian mall that has a free shuttle that stops every block along the way. It goes from one end of downtown to the other. In good weather, there are often musicians and other street performers in the area. The Denver Center for the Performing Arts is only a couple of blocks from the Mall if you want to catch a play or concert. The Brown Palace Hotel is worth a visit just to see the inside but they also have a delightful tea in the afternoons and a fantastic Sunday brunch (not inexpensive).

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on Colorado trip

Hi

Colorado is a large state. Don't know how long you are coming.

One possibility is to locate yourselves in Telluride, Ouray or Durango in the SW part of the state also called "Little Switserland"

Many things to do and see.

Tet

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on Colorado trip

I would recommend Estes Park. Although it can involve a lot of walking, it doesn't have too. You could drive thru Rocky Mountain National Park. The beauty is so wonderful, lots of cutsie little shops that are different from what you will see in a major shopping area, good food and did I mention the beauty? My aunt is unable to walk much at all and when she visited I just rented a wheel chair so that she didn't have to miss out. I was able to take her places that she would not have been able to access otherwise, including Vail and Aspen. Not sure if your daughter would be comfortable with the idea, but it opens up your options.

Here in Glenwood Springs, we have a Hot Springs Pool, Glenwood Adventure Park and White Water Rafting. The rafting is very mild. You can also make day trips to Aspen, Snowmass, Redstone and Grand Junction.

Lake Charles, La
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on Colorado trip

mtnlife,

Did you rent the wheelchair in Estes Park? She does not mind at all using a wheelchair. I will look at this area. Thanks, everybody for your suggestions.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on Colorado trip

The Georgetown Steam train is a good way to get out into the forest and doesn't require much mobility. There are open cars and the train winds it's way through Aspen Forests from Georgetown to Silverplume and back. On a nice day it's a beautiful trip.

6. Re: advice on Colorado trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:26