We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Trip in March 2017

7 posts
Save Topic
Colorado Trip in March 2017

Hi. My family is from Florida and we’re making our first trip to CO in March. We fly in to DIA on 3/7 and will stay a week. We have reserved a 4WD just in case of snow. We’re staying in a cabin in Alma for the first 3 days. We have 3 boys (6,10,13) who have never seen snow so we’re hoping to see some, hopefully at our cabin but if not at a ski resort. Any recommendations of great places to sled and snow tube that would be reasonably close to Alma?

We had originally planned to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge for the remaining days but may be changing those plans. It seems after reading lots of reviews that it’s basically all kid driven entertainment. Obviously we want our boys to have fun, but it appears there isn’t even a hot tub for adults to relax in. We love jacuzzis.... the kids too! We may still go for one day but are looking for other suggestions of nice hotels. Denver or Colorado Springs? I’ve heard many people say Colorado Springs is boring but I don’t know. But I’d like to visit the AF Academy. what are some must- sees and must-dos while we’re there, in either place?

My parents will be joining us at the cabin in Alma. Any ideas for good places to eat or things that an older couple might enjoy would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any tips!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
The Inn at Lost Creek
The Inn at Lost Creek
#1 of 7 hotels in Mountain Village
Lost Valley Ranch
Lost Valley Ranch
#1 of 1 hotels in Sedalia
Sonnenalp
Sonnenalp
#1 of 31 hotels in Vail
12 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Welcome to the forum. I haven't heard anyone before say Colorado Springs was boring. But if you think it is, then wait until you see Alma. If you want an experience getting away from it all, Alma would be it. There's one bar. That's about it. Fairplay is about 10 minutes away and has a few local restaurants and a brewery. Breckenridge is a good sized ski town about 30 minutes away with plenty to do. You'll find sledding and tubing in Breckenridge and Frisco which is about 45 minutes or so from Alma.

I've not stayed at a Great Wolf but was friends with one of the original developers of the chain from Wisconsin. My instinct is that you're reading too much into the reviews and that your entire family would have a great time there.

Alma may also be great if the cabin is wonderful and if it's accessible. But it is remote there. Given your interests, I would also spend a night visiting Colorado Springs to see Garden of the Gods, the Olympic Training Center and Pike's Peak.

On your vehicle, key is having winter tires. Colorado has a traction law that mandates winter tires. Make sure you have them on the vehicle when you leave the lot.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
14,196 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Olympic Training Center
Olympic Training Center
1,250 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Thanks so much for the reply. We are kind of wanting to get away from it all for the first few day so Alma should work out. We just want to explore the area around the cabin and find snow! We’ll bring groceries and all we need to be remote for a few days.

After that, we want to see a lot of sites around Denver like Garden of the Gods. We’re just excited to see a change of scenery from flat Florida. We love it here but have never been out west at all. The kids have never flown so they’re most excited about flying! Ha!

I still have a room booked at the GWL so we’ll hang on to it for a bit until we decide fully.

Do you know if snow tires are standard on rental vehicles in Denver? I don’t know how to get them if the rental company doesn’t have them on. Guess I’ll call and request that now!

We’re really looking forward to our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
14,196 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Florida
Florida
United States
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Rental vehicles will not have snow tires. They should have all season M+S tires that meet CO law.

Alma is about as remote as you can get. Its also at 10,361'. Very likely to have snow in March. March is a snowy month, so there is a possibility you may have difficulty getting to and from Alma. Check cotrip.org and watch the weather. If the weather is bad and roads are bad, don't press you luck. Highway 9 has some really twisty sections between Breckenridge and Alma. Taking 285 from Denver to Fairplay may be a better choice if roads are marginal. Take food, drinks, and entertainment with you to Alma. If the roads are clear you can drive into Breckenridge. But if roads are bad you may end up spending most of your time in the cabin.

Garden of the Gods is in Colorado Springs, not Denver. If you want to see sights in Denver you probably want to spend a night there.

You might look at Mt Princeton Hot Springs. Its not exactly close to Alma, but if you like jacuzzis you might enjoy it. If the roads cooperate.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Fairplay
Fairplay
Colorado
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
14,196 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Mount Princeton Hot Springs Resort
Mount Princeton Hot...
1,856 Reviews
Nathrop, CO
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Thanks so much for the heads up on driving. We’ll want to take the easiest route even if it takes more time. We arrive in Denver around noon and will need to grab lunch, get the rental and hit a grocery store like Walmart or target to get plenty of supplies for the cabin. We are more than fine staying in the cabin a few days. We love to play cards and cook, bake and watch movies and hopefully play in the snow during the day. And the cabin is large so our kids can have their own space to do what they want to. Can we purchase sleds at Walmart there? There’s obviously none in Florida.

I think maybe we’ll head to Colorado Springs after the cabin and do some exploring there! We’re not huge planners; we just like to take it easy and find fun things to do. What’s in Colorado Springs to do besides Garden of the Gods and the Air Force Academy?

I’ll plan to buy all the things needed for emergency road situations and put them in the trunk. Just in case. And I’ll double check we have appropriate tires from the car rental place.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Florida
Florida
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
14,196 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
United States Air Force Academy
United States Air Force...
2,542 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

As you're heading west on I70 from the airport car rental there is a WalMart at Quebec, Harlan and Youngfield and a Target at Kipling. I'd expect Wal Mart and Target to have sleds. There are big liquor stores next the the ones at Harlan (Mollys) or Youngfield (Applejack) if that's a consideration. The one at Quebec is on the south side of I70. There's a Bass Pro on the north side.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,441 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Agree with the hot springs in Chaffee County. on the way to and from Colorado Springs / Alma colorado.com/videos/hot-springs-cool-adventu…

You say that you are more than fine staying in a cabin for a few days, but know that you can be stuck inside unless you plan ahead as Wheatie suggested. Bring books, games for sure! Be sure that the cabin you are renting has someone who plows the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,850 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Yes!! Make sure your drive will be plowed. We have gone to our place in Telluride when they failed to plow the drive (even tho I called twice) and had the snow hip deep. Had to park on the road and haul all our stuff in by hand. Not fun in deep snow with a long hilly driveway.

Mentioned in this post
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Yikes! That sounds like a nightmare. I just emailed the management agency to ask about that. Thanks for the tip because I wouldn’t have thought to ask.

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Hot springs sound amazing! And we’ll be sure to bring lots of things to stay busy with. I’m an art teacher so I hope to find some new art inspiration in the mountains and maybe do some creating at the cabin.

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Colorado Trip in March 2017

Thanks for the tips! It’s so helpful since we don’t know the area. I’m going to have to make a list of all these suggestions to include in our itinerary.

**We don’t drink but we may start if we get snowed in with 3 kids! 😂😂

Reply to: Colorado Trip in March 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted