We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions on itinerary

north tonawanda
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
suggestions on itinerary

We are 4 adults in our early 60s that enjoy hiking(but not too strenuous) outdoors activities, wildlife, finding good local hangouts for a drink and dinner taking in all the beautiful scenery.

That being said we will be arriving in Denver in mid Sept 2018. We will rent a car at airport. We do not mind driving and enjoy scenic routes rather than hwy!! The temporary route that I am looking at is as follows:

Denver to Palisade (stop in Vail to have lunch and look around) Stay overnight in Palisade ..Colorado National Monument

On to Telluride with a stop in Black Canyon NP and Montrose for lunch staying overnight in Telluride.

on to Durango.. overnight. (would like to fit in four corners monument if that is not too much)

on to Salida via Great Sand Dunes NP. overnight

On to Colorado Springs (Garden Of the Gods etc.)

Drive to Denver to catch flight.

Obviously this is a very rough draft. I really wanted to know if this is doable. We will fly in on a Thursday and fly out on a Thursday. I will try to book first flight into Denver and late afternoon out of Denver. I am open to suggestions in each of these places or new suggestions if you think there are other cities that I should include and eliminate others. Once I have a route planned I can then focus on all the details and become a little more organized. Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,711 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: suggestions on itinerary

Welcome to the forum. It's an aggressive plan but do-able. Your early airline arrival and late departure will be key. For sure Four Corners is not worth the few extra hours it will take you. You seem to be skipping Mesa Verde. I would try to include it. You could replace your night in Durango with a night at Far View Lodge in Mesa Verde. Telluride is very nice. In staying there, you will preclude yourself from the Million Dollar HIghway unless you backtrack. May not be a big factor for you.

On your way back to airport resist the temptation to take the E-470 toll road - expensive and only license plate tolling so you'll have a large fee from rental car company. Just take I-225 around - it's about the same time.

Have fun.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: suggestions on itinerary

Telluride is a great town, take time to see the small museum that details local history from the time before white men to the present. Ride the gondola as well, awesome views. There are some great restaurants for dinner. Take a look at the historic Old Sheridan Chop House. With such short time there... You will want to stay in Telluride, rather than Mountain Village.

north tonawanda
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: suggestions on itinerary

Yes thank you for your suggestion. That makes total sense. I would not want to miss Mesa Verde. However when looking at Far View Lodge, they would only let me book 3 or more nights. (darn)

Also I have another little glitch--The hubbys want to stay in Aspen our first night as opposed to Palisade.(just to say they did) haha. That will make our trip to Telluride a long one. (thats what I get for asking their opinions)

Is one night in each of the cities I have listed going to be enough other than 2 nights in Telluride and 2 nights in Colorado Springs. Or would you switch anything up as far as itinerary??? I am soon going to be looking into hotels also if anyone has any strong opinions Id appreciate it. Thanks

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,711 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: suggestions on itinerary

I've ever encountered a three-day minimum at Far View Lodge. That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you're booking with the hotel's official site or a third-party site? Use this link. I just went on and had no problem getting a price back for a one-night stay.

https:/…

From Aspen to Telluride go via Carbondale and then McLure Pass. It's not all that bad. We did the reverse of it last August.

Have fun.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
142 reviews
5. Re: suggestions on itinerary

Here is a scenic route

Denver to Aspen via Independence Pass (early next morning to Ashcroft or Maroon Bells)

Aspen to Crested Butte via SH 133 and Kebler Pass

Crested Butte to Telluride (stop at Black Canyon NP on the way)

Tride to Salida (stop at Pagosa Springs for a soak on the way)

Salida to Manitou Springs (same sights as CO Springs but nicer town)

Back to Denver

north tonawanda
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: suggestions on itinerary

OK guys MAJOR upset in my plans. I have been looking for hotels in Telluride now for days and everything is sold out!! SO I decided to call Hotel Telluride just to see if they were only sold out on the third party websites. What I found out was that the Blues and Brews Festival takes place the weekend of the 14th -16th of Sept--just when we were going to be there. SO What I am thinking of doing is our complete itinerary backwards. It will now look like this: Fly into Denver in late am on Thursday Sept. 13th . Drive to Colorado Springs and stay 2 nights. Drive to Alamosa and do Sand Dunes NP on Sat 15th overnight in Alamosa?? Sunday the 16th drive to Mesa Verde and stay overnight at Far View Lodge(thank you Tumbleweedandcactus for the suggestion, I was able to book for one night) Monday am drive to Telluride and stay there 2 nights Wednesday am drive to Aspen and spend the night there heading back to Denver on Thursday to take a late flight out and home. YIKES as I type this it does seem a little tight but there is sooo much to see and so little time to see it. Do you think it is doable? I do not like being so far from Denver on the day of departure but it is what it is. We will make the best of it!! Any other reccomendations on Hotels that I should look at would be great. Thank you!!!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: suggestions on itinerary

Yes, there are a few festivals in Telluride that draw huge crowds, best not to try at visit while that is happening.

Reply to: suggestions on itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted