We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving home to Boston from Denver

Boston...
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving home to Boston from Denver

Hi,

We are staying in Colorado for a few nights in May. We are going to drive back to Boston. We want to stop around the 10-12 hour mark to stay over. Does anyone know of a city & hotel we may like on this route home???

Thanks!

Carolann & Jeremy

Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Lake Mead Luxury...
378 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam Helicopter...
614 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Flight, Colorado...
129 Reviews
from US$475.99*
US$499.00
11 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

You can map your route on Google maps. Des Moines Iowa is around 10 hours east.

You may want to post in the Road Trips forum for advice since your post doesn't pertain to Colorado: https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,798 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

What kind of cities and hotels do you like?

What route are you taking?

Please help us help you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

Oh I have NO idea. Lol. Most direct way. But I was reading halfway point is Chicago??? So maybe stay in Chicago over night?

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,747 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

Denver to Boston is a 30 hour drive according to google maps. And, yes, Chicago is about half way. So, if you want to do this drive in two days, you have two 15 hour days with a stop in Chicago. If you want to do only 10 hours a day it will take three days. Stops could be in Des Moines (as mentioned above) and Cleveland. Only about three hours out of your 30 hour trip is in Colorado.

If you just want to see where to stop on the fastest route, just put Denver to Boston in google maps and look for cities at you time limits for each day. Then look at reviews for hotels in those cities. I've only been to Chicago once and that was one night. Never been to Des Moines at all. If you're looking for interesting places to stop along the way post in the road trip forum.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

You are going to need a couple nights on the road, It's not realistic to make Chicago from Denver. As Babalax noted, Des Moines is a good functional stop. We do versions of Rockies to midwest a few times a year. Des Moines is a frequent stop or the Lincoln/Omaha/Council Bluffs area, You'll find options from every major national chain hotel along I-80 in that area.

As noted, go to Google Maps and plot it out.

Have fun.

Boston...
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

I think we will do it in three days.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

Des Moines is a wonderful city! And a great place to stop. Stay downtown Embassy suites and you can walk to restaurants.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,798 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

In West Des Moines, we like the Country Inn and Suites just off the highway. Nice staff, true one bedroom suites, decent breakfast. There's a good Mexican restaurant nearby.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

Day 1....I'd personally push on to Iowa City. Fun, highly walkable, college town with cute shops and restaurants. Depending on how you drive, you can make it in less than 12 hours. I don't know if you like B&Bs, but the Burford House is close to the action and I saw rooms for $89 that included a sit-down breakfast!

Day 2.... What about staying in and round Cuyahoga Valley National Park? About a 9 hour drive and might be a good place to do some hiking and stretch your legs.

Day 3... into Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving home to Boston from Denver

We are planning our trip from Taunton to Denver in September to visit my sister. How was your trip? What would you recommend or definitely avoid? We are very slow travelers, plus we don't have a deadline.

Hope to hear from you!

Amy

Reply to: Driving home to Boston from Denver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted