We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions, please, on best summer trip Colorado during

fort worth, texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Opinions, please, on best summer trip Colorado during

Hello,

My 16 year old daughter and I are interested in visiting some spectacular scenery in Colorado during August.

We live in Texas, so each summer I try to find a cooler location to visit. Last year it was Scotland (wonderfully cool), but this year's trip needs to be a close to home as possible, while still offering pleasent weather. Colorado would seem to be the closest "cool" state.

We have ten days to spend, and we will be renting a car. I just can't decide a town to

stay in, from which we would drive to the various points of interest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Pamela7

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions, please, on best summer trip Colorado during

My family has enjoyed Breckenridge area. A nice scenic setting in a mountain town along a river. Its fairly central to other destinations and daytripping. (hikes, rafting, shopping, other towns). Plus you are nice and cool above 8000 ft. Since its a ski town, Breckenridge is offseason which means less costly, but it still has plenty to do.

We've had a larger group so we based ourselves in one spot. Excursions to places 3 hours away (like Rocky Mountain National Park) and back in the same day are kind of grueling. But if you want to sightsee around, it may make sense to split your days between a couple places in Colorado.

I'm sure Estes Park will be another recommendation. And Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, GrandLake, Telluride, Vail, Aspen etc etc etc. Its all great. All will be nice and cool.

Have fun.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
648 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions, please, on best summer trip Colorado during

If by "cool" you mean temperature wise....Colorado doesn't get that cool in the summer. We get plenty of 100+ degree day between late June and Sept. The difference is that we don't have humidity, so it's different than the heat you're used to in Texas. Here, it feels like you're in a dry oven. =)

That being said, if you stay in the higher elevations, you can escape the heat a bit. Not always...I've had plenty of hikes at 12,000 ft in 80 degree weather. But generally, if you stick to the mountains,you'll be fine. Some of the best places for scenery are Rocky Mountain National Park, Ouray, Breckenridge, Telluride, Silverton, Aspen, and the Maroon Bells are some of my favorites.

Because there are so many different and beautiful places in CO to see that are spread around the state, you might want to rethink staying in one town.There just really isn't a single town in CO that you could stay in the entire 10 days that would allow you access to al the Colorado offers, unless you don't mind driving 10 hours a day!

I would stay a night or two in Estes Park(the town right at the entrance to RMNP) and explore the park, then drive through the park, into Grand Lake, and on to Breckenridge.Stay in Breck for a night or two. Then head down and hit Telluride,Aspen. Ouray, Silverton and Telluride are all in the same vicinity so you could stay in Telluride and explore the other towns and mountain areas.

Mesa Verde is also an awesome spot to see, but it gets soooo hot in the summer there!

Hope this helps, have fun planning!

3. Re: Opinions, please, on best summer trip Colorado during

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 13:15