We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

I was blown away years ago by the beauty of the Rocky Mtns and now I am coming back with my kids I want to show them the mountains and pine(?) trees which we don't have here. We will go to Mesa Verde and only have a few days so would Durango/Telluride area give us that beautiful mountain scenery? Will there be snow in the last week of September?

Thanks.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

Hi

You better skip Mexico-lol-

The SW part of Colorado aka Little Switserland and it's one of the most beautiful parts of the sw. You can take the famous trainride from Durango to Silverton and the kids will be thrilled by that. Nothing like that in Australia. You should spend one day in Mesa Verde if you have the time, also great for kids. If you want to make an unforgettable drive through the south west of Co., a long day trip would be from Cortez to Telluride-Ridgway-Ouray-Silverton-Durango but imo this would be too much with kids. Give them the trainride and Mesa Verde and they will be perfectley happy.

Tet

Australia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

Yep....Mexico is out!!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

It's not likely that you'll see snow late in September (the snow from the previous winter will have melted by then), but not impossible -- it has been known to snow in September at higher elevations.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,292 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

Yes it is beautiful in the SW corner of Colorado and it is still considered the Rockies. Some incredible mountains there.

I would spend a day at Mesa Verde and a day doing the train. Then a drive to Ouray and or Telluride.

Snow on the ground probably will be gone, but it can snow any month of the year in the mountains, so who knows.

Have fun.

5. Re: Is the south-west as good as the Rockies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 22:15