We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ute tribal park tour

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Ute tribal park tour

Has anyone done the Ute Mt. Tribal Park tour? From the little info I've been able to find the sites are supposed to be as impressive as Mesa Verde but only accessible via a guided tour. I'd love to hear from someone who's experienced it.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ute tribal park tour

I wish I could say I have done it. This is on my must do list. I too have heard the sites are incredible. I would go for it and then tell me all about it, lol!!

Mesa Verde has it's own special feel. This is my favorite place and I would not skip it in favor of UMTP.

Have a great time. You may also want to visit Lowry Pueblo, Hovenweep and the ruins at the Anasazi Heritage Center.

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ute tribal park tour

Thanks CasaAzul. We will be visiting Mesa Verde but I was wondering about Ute Mt. as our travels will take us nearby. Where is Lowry Pueblo?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ute tribal park tour

Lowry Pueblo is north of Cortez. Here is a link http://www.co.blm.gov/ahc/lowry.htm

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ute tribal park tour

Hello - my husband and I took the Ute Mtn. Tribal Park tour during a trip west in October of 2000 and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We spent an entire day with the tour guide and one other couple. Transportation was from a central office spot via a van. The guide was very well informed. We were able to walk among the ruins and view numerous sites and relics. Most of the sties were only accessible by climbing up and down ladders as shown in their web site. I do not like heights and was very anxious about the ladders. I managed all of them with the exception of the 30 foot one that went to Eagle's Nest. My husband climbed that one easily with the other folks. With the exception of the ladders most of the hiking was on level ground. I would definitely advise going on the tour. We have been to Mesa Verde as well. There may be more dwellings to see at Mesa Verde but you are seeing the ruins up close and personal at the Ute Mountain Tribal Park. We took our own lunch and ate at a picnic area. I think perhaps food was available to purchase as well but I do not recall the details. The pace was slow enough for us to take photos and ask lots of questions. Go and have fun!!

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ute tribal park tour

Don't waste your time unless you have done everything else -- Mesa Verde, Canyon De Chelly, Aztec Ruins, everything in the Navajo nation, Chaco, Bandelier, etc. The sites are littered with pottery that manages to 'surface' at eye level on flat rocks; our 'guide' was late and made no sense the entire day; the trip is uncomfortable; the rock art dates from the seventies and eighties (and I mean nineteen seventies and eighties). Yes, you will see some original sites amidst it all. The biting sand flies were extraordinary.

6. Re: Ute tribal park tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:20