We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring skiing in '08

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
173 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Spring skiing in '08

I'm planning a spring ski trip in 08.....where do u receommend going? what about Utah?? I've also hear good things about Purgatory.....

Also, when's the best time to catch the sweet deals on lodging as well as lift tix....

a kitchennet would be nice to cut cost.....

thanx for your help....

r

Arvada, CO
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring skiing in '08

I would check the internet for the best prices on lodging. Skiing/snow boarding lasts until end of March or April. We personally love Breckenridge, but everyone has their favorites. We find that this town, not too far from Denver (about 1 1/2 hours) is much cheaper than overrated places like Aspen or Vail and has great lodging.

We get the cheapest tickets actually at the local grocery store (King Soopers) for the best deals.

We've also skiied in Utah (had family that was living outside Salt Lake City at the time). Rates at that time were much cheaper in Utah!

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring skiing in '08

I'd obviously hesitate to call Aspen and Vail overrated. They are consistently ranked highest in surveys for everything from terrain to ski school to nightlife and so on for a reason. They also both happen to have some of the highest repeat guest rates of Colorado resorts. Overrated places usually don't get people back again. (To each their own though)

No, they're not the cheapest but they're not trying to be. You can do both of those resorts in a much less expensive fashion by traveling off peak such as weekdays, avoiding holidays, and an excellent time to go is after the Christmas New Year's crowds leave (around Jan 2 or 3) and before MLK. If you have flexibility to move from spring dates to January that might help, or make sure your spring dates are very late in the season, probably after April 1 when many spring break students and families have come and gone.

Can't necessarily help about Utah, you may want to post your question there. Purgatory hasn't been called Purgatory for several years. It's known as Durango Mountain Resort now, but whether it's the place for you will depend on what you're looking for in your vacation.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring skiing in '08

My favorite ski areas are Summit County (Breckenridge, Copper and Keystone/Arapahoe Basin), with the additional towns of Dillon, Silverthjorn and Frisco for lodgings. All are connected by the (free) Summit bus system. They usually are open until Easter or the weekend thereafter. Arapahoe stays open until June most of the years. Once spring break is over (middle to late March) rates go down all over..

I have also skied Alta, Snowbird and Park City in Utah. Alta is the least expensive for lifts, but the chalets are expensive and always well booked. Alta is not quite as developed as the other s(Forest Service restrictions), but has the best and longest lasting snow. I usually stay in Salt Lake City and decide in the morning where to go, depending on the weather . They all can be reached by bus from SLC. SLC has many options for lodging.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring skiing in '08

Most of the corporate owned resorts (vail, breck, copper, keystone, winter park, etc) will offer lift, lesson, and lodging deals where you can get a condo, discounted lift tickets, and ski/snowboard lessons with rentals all in one. I would check with the different resorts to see who can offer you the best deal. You can also stay off of the resorts to save money, but then you'll want to factor in transportation expenses.

What level skiers are you? Different resorts have different perks depending on the terrain, lodging, dining, and nightlife you want. If you could give us a bit more info, we can help you out more.

The best deals are when the resorts are least likely to be busy -very early or very late in the season, or after holiday rushes.

5. Re: Spring skiing in '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 12:20