We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

Hi everyone, we are staying in Breck next week but would like to do an all day trip to Glenwood Springs. How far is it from Breck, and excuse my lack of knowlege of the area, but what is Independence Pass and can we include that in our trip there? Would it be worth going to Aspen while we are there, and how far is that?

It's me and hubby, 21 & 14 yr old boys, and we also want to go to Glenwood Caverns Adventure park. Ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

If you haven't already gone rafting, check with White Water Rafting about doing a double Shoshone. The water is running a bit low right now, but shooting the rapids twice might make it worthwhile. Glenwood Caverns is a good choice. You could rent bikes and ride on the trail that runs along the river thru Glenwood Canyon or maybe spend some time in the Hot Springs Pool. If you have adjusted to the altitude you could hike to Hanging Lake. It really is beautiful.

Aspen is always worth the trip, but since you will be driving 1 1/2 hours from Breck, I don't know if you want to spend another hour each way to get to Aspen and back to Glenwood. It is great scenery and atmosphere, but you will have to decide about the drive time.

Arvada, CO
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

Well, you have a lot of stuff packed in for a day trip!. First, to get to Glenwood Springs, you need to get back onto I70, heading west. It will take you about another 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get there. You have to go over the pass at Vail, so you can get out and check out the continental divide there.

Are you planning to do hiking at Glenwood Springs (like the caverns) and swimming in the hot springs pool also? Some fun rafting trips too! There is also a great hike that my son (22) went on with his friends last week to Hanging Lake. You'll see the parking area for Hanging Lake while you're driving on I70 in the canyon of Glenwood Springs. It's a short hike ... but all uphill on the way to the lake. Gorgeous ... beautiful scenery. And it's all downhill back to the car.

I haven't specifically gone out of the way for Independence Pass. You take Highway 82 from Glenwood Springs. It's going to be a several hour drive by itself. I think my son would be crawling out of the car by then.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

Independance Pass is a great trip! 2.5 + hours from Breckenridge over Indep. Pass to Aspen. Then another hour from Aspen to Glenwood. Yes it is beautiful and if you are not planning on doing anything much in Aspen and just driving through it would be a fun sightseeing trip. You could take a few hours out of your trip to drive up to the shuttle to see the Maroon Bells.

If you leave early enough in the morning, you can get to Aspen for coffee and snacks, then on to Glenwood for the Adventure Park.

From Glenwood back to Breckenridge it is about 2 hours depending on the traffic in Glenwood Canyon (construction on a tunnel).

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

FYI on the Tunnel. I have driven from Glenwood to DIA 3 of the last 4 weekends (I've got to teach my guest about Eagle & Junction airports!). On the weekends, I have experience NO delays. There is a section in each direction that narrows down to one lane and speed limit drops to 35, but no active construction on the weekends.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

If you are planning to tour the caverns and want to do the Adventure or Wild tour, be sure to make reservations a day in advance!! And beware of the traffic in Glennwood Springs.. They are doing construction on one of the tunnels!!!!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

Thank you everyone for all your advice, I honestly could not imagine a life of travel without tripadvisor. THANKS!!

7. Re: Day trip to Glenwood Springs, help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 14:16