We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trout Fishing!

Houston Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trout Fishing!

Will be spending 10 days in colorado, Durango, Ouray,Gunnison,Aspen.I would like to fish in a river somewhere for trout, with my fishing rod.I do not want to go fly fishing or learn how to fly fish at this time since I will only have a few hours to go fishing.

Also I would really like to clean, cook and eat the the trout if I was to catch any. How much is a license? ETC...Any ideas if I could do this anywhere? We are staying in Motels on the way, almost wish we were camping, than I could bring my own frying pan!

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trout Fishing!

Consider Taylor Park Reservoir which is north of Gunnison, CO the opposite direction (east of Creste Butte, CO).

As I recall at one time these were Colorado deemed - "Gold Medal" fishing waters particularly the river which flows south into the CureCanti Nat'l Recreation area just west of Gunnison.

Your best bet would be to view the below link to the CO Fish and wildlife for fishing and their fees.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trout Fishing!

Howdy Nita,

Here is a site:

gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/page.php…

Happy trails,

SandBilly

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trout Fishing!

The Gunnison River flowing through Black Canyon National Park is a Gold Medal fishery. Driving down into the canyon will take you to this not often fished and uncrowded beautiful waterway.

You might try fishing flies using your spin gear and clear bubble floats as they will produce well. Take a light rod with 4 or 6 lb line and try to use a very light tippet tied to your line.

Some restaurants will cook your catch for you.

FYI there are many streams in those areas and if you stop at fly shops such as the one in Ridgeway the shop owners will give you lots of great information.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trout Fishing!

You can try the Animas River which flows through Durango. Find one of the bridges that crosses over to the west side of the Animas, then south. Several spots to fish before you reach the highway to Cortez.

About 18 miles north of Durango off US550, picturesque, Haviland Lake often has pretty good fishing for trout. Try Berkley Power Bait...the one's that look like mini-marshmallows. Even if they aren't biting, just the experience will make it worthwhile. Beautiful spot.

It's been awhile since I fished in Colorado, but I think they still have a 3 or 5 day license for out-of-staters. Some of the older motels on north Main St. in Durango have kitchenettes

Enjoy!

5. Re: Trout Fishing!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 12:22