We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ski resorts - least crowd

colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Best ski resorts - least crowd

New to Colorado skiing, just moved to Castle Rock area. We usually ski Jackson Hole, WY. Looking for a nice place to ski, with good intermediate runs, without lines 10 miles long on weekends. Any suggestions?

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ski resorts - least crowd

Places more off the beaten path from the front range will generally have shorter lines. Monarch, Wolf Creek, Durango Mountain, Crested Butte, Steamboat. Haven't been to Loveland in ages but it used to be a good locals/uncrowded place. One of the reasons lines are shorter here is because most of them aren't an easy day trip from the Denver metro area.

A good way to avoid lines are to ski during the week and avoid holiday weekends (such as presidents day) at all costs.

I would suggest snagging some 4 passes right now while they're still on sale so that you can experiment with different resorts. If you plan on skiing more than a few times a year it's in your best bet to buy a pass as window prices can be insane!

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ski resorts - least crowd

Most of the resorts close to the front range will be crowded on weekends. Breckenridge seems to be the worst. The thing you really need to keep in mind, though, is the traffic on I-70 --- it is worse than any lift line. Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings are terrible. The traffic jams on Sundays usually starts about 2pm and last until about 8pm. It can take as long as 3-4 hours to get from Summit County to Denver without any wrecks. If you ski on Sunday just plan to ski all day and have a nice long dinner in one of the towns before heading home late at night.

Keystone, Copper and Beaver Creek all have nice groomed intermediate runs.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best ski resorts - least crowd

I just received an email from Crested Butte about free skiing November 25 - Dec 15. No strings attached, totally free. Check out http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/page.php for details, but since it is free, how could you go wrong. The only thing is that is far enough from you that you might consider staying overnight. I haven't looked at the details on lodging yet, but apparently there are deals to be had there as well.

4. Re: Best ski resorts - least crowd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 19:19