We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Minturn like?

Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What is Minturn like?

My family planned to head to Vail this summer for biking, hiking and rafting. I came across a brand new condo in Minturn however, at what I think is a good price ($175; 3 bdrm) but I've not been able to get a feel for what Minturn is like. We eat out most nights so finding enough family friendly restaurants is also a factor in where we stay.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
349 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour and...
122 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
183 reviews
from US$55.00*
Colorado
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Minturn like?

Minturn may not be the bargain for you then, as you probably noticed there has'nt been a bunch of replies to your post because most people who live in Colorado haven't ever heard of minturn. It's not really too far from Vail but farther than I would want to drive for dinner. It is beautiful but a very small town a few shops, a gas station and of course a starbucks. Road bikin is big and if you do stay I would suggest a 25 minute drive to Holy Cross Wilderness area. Great hiking.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Minturn like?

Try getting into Vail or at least Avon/Beaver Creek. Totally different experience (more to do and easy to get around). Try VRBO or even Priceline for deals-they are out there for that time of year. Enjoy Colorful Colorado!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,762 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Minturn like?

Minturn is where the locals live who work in Vail. It is not a touristy area and the drive into Vail is on a narrow 2 lane road so I would also suggest checking out the digs closer to Vail.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Minturn like?

I live in Minturn and have lived in the Vail Valley since 1995. Minturn is an eclectic little town, 10 minutes from Vail in one direction and Beaver Creek in the other. Colorado Highway 24 is our Main Street and I-70 is 3 miles away. There is fantastic hiking right out of Minturn - Two Elk trail, Grouse trail, Meadow Mountain, and the Cross Creek area south of town which includes Cross Creek trail (great for families) and Notch Mountain...I could go on and on. Minturn is on the Eagle River and rafting trips for anywhere in the area can be started from the Meadow Mountain area (as a pick up spot.) Great biking in all the same hiking spots. We have a few restaurants, including the Saloon, a local and visitor favorite. Sorry, no Starbucks, but we do have a locally owned coffe shop, the Lift. We have a beautiful park on the river, complete with picnic areas, playground and an amphitheater. All that being said, Vail is also great if you are staying right in Vail Village, allowing you access to Vail Mountain. The restaurants in Vail are more expensive on average, most local families will regularly dine with kid in Edwards (15 miles west) Vail has an amazing amphitheater with free concerts on most Tuesday mid summer, and incredible music and dance performances other times. Have fun!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Minturn like?

I live in Minturn and have lived in the Vail Valley since 1995. Minturn is an eclectic little town, 10 minutes from Vail in one direction and Beaver Creek in the other. Colorado Highway 24 is our Main Street and I-70 is 3 miles away. There is fantastic hiking right out of Minturn - Two Elk trail, Grouse trail, Meadow Mountain, and the Cross Creek area south of town which includes Cross Creek trail (great for families) and Notch Mountain...I could go on and on. Minturn is on the Eagle River and rafting trips for anywhere in the area can be started from the Meadow Mountain area (as a pick up spot.) Great biking in all the same hiking spots. We have a few restaurants, including the Saloon, a local and visitor favorite. Sorry, no Starbucks, but we do have a locally owned coffee shop, the Lift. We have a beautiful park on the river, complete with picnic areas, playground and an amphitheater. All that being said, Vail is also great if you are staying right in Vail Village, allowing you access to Vail Mountain. The restaurants in Vail are more expensive on average, most local families will regularly dine with kid in Edwards (15 miles west) Vail has an amazing amphitheater with free concerts on most Tuesday mid summer, and incredible music and dance performances other times. Have fun!

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is Minturn like?

Minturn also has some quaint cute shops with more affordable items and they have a cute (and busy) market on the weekend. I can't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday. Vail also offers a wonderful market in the summer. Lots of unique items and food.

7. Re: What is Minturn like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 10:21