We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to ski?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
When to ski?

What is the best time of year to ski in the Colorado area? We would ideally like to go in January 2009. What can we expect at that time of year?

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
583 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to ski?

There will definitely be a lot of snow, unlike Nov, Dec, March, April. If you go after the first week, you'll avoid the holiday crowd. Avoid MLK day/weekend. It will probably be colder than March -- but you never know. It should be great!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,681 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to ski?

I always loved skiing in February (except Presidents Day weekend). Warmer than January and not as busy as Spring Break times.

Late January would also be a great time. I remember too many freezing days in early January in Breckenridge!

Seattle-Durango
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When to ski?

I think March is one of the best times. Atleast that is when SW CO would get the majors dumps of snow. I remember about four years ago, the La Platas outside of Durango got 8 feet of snow in like 24 hours. That happened in the end of March.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to ski?

Thanks for all this. Coming from England I wasn't even aware of MLK day or president's day. Why should these be avoided - do the slopes get crowded or does everywhere close down?..

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: When to ski?

Government offices and some corporate offices (banks) shut down for the day, and the slopes definitely get crowded for that day, but also the weekend attached to the day.

President's day was February 18th for 2008, but the slopes were very crowded for the 16th, 17th, and perhaps more crowded than usual for the 15th and 19th. This happens for any three-day weekend during ski season, and especially for the Christmas/New Year's holidays and surrounding week.

The effect is likely less the further away from Denver the resort is, especially true for the non I-70 resorts/ski areas.

6. Re: When to ski?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:16