We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

Hi all - The hubby is again going to Denver on business and as we have been to the immediate area before thought this time about taking the train across the Rockies to Grand Junction and then hiring a car and traveling across to Las Vegas. What we would like to know is:

Is this feasible?

What should we plan to see?

How long do you think we should allow?

We plan to fly back to Denver at the end, as we have to catch the plane from there, but is this a workable journey.

Thanks in anticipation

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
371 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
598 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
127 Reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

I am not 100% positive, but pretty certain there is no train that goes straight from Denver to Las Vegas. You can go Denver to Grand Junction but then you can not get to Las Vegas. To go from Denver to Las Vegas, you will go from Denver to NM then AZ then Las Vegas. You will basically miss our state! Plus that will be almost a 24 hour train ride as opposed to a 1.5 hour flight. If you have already explored the surrounding Denver area, then I would suggest you head up into the Rocky mountains. Save Vegas for it's own trip, then you can see Hoover Damn, Grand Canyon, etc.

If you are interested in the mountain area there is just so much, so let us know what you decide and suggestions will be given.

Mentioned in this post
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

I just noticed you said 'hire a car' sorry. I still endorse exploring the rockies instead and leaving Vegas as it's own trip. You could see Moab, Arches, Mesa Verde, Durango area. By taking the train you are missing a lot cool places like Lake Dillon, Vail, Glenwood Springs, maybe aspen, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

A one-way car rental might be very expensive. I just looked at Hertz and it's $100/day. Course, you'd only need it for one day since that's about an 8-9 hour drive. Return airfare to Denver can be as low as $69/person on Southwest (Frontier might be a good option too, they were $83 and up) depending on the day, or $100/person. Including taxi/shuttle to get to from the Vegas hotel that's another $10/15 a person. It's probably a wash vs. keeping the car you don't really need in Vegas for a few days.

If you wanted to stop off in Utah places, then you would have to keep the car longer. And if you're not staying in Vegas, than there's no shuttle fee.

You might get more/better responses to this by asking in the Utah forums about things to do in Utah. Other than what 1FourFun said above, I can only add visiting Salt Lake City which would be out of your direct path.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Utah
Utah
United States
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

If you like wine, Grand Junction is supposed to have some good vineyards to visit.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Holiday July 2008 - ideas and suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 19:18