We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

los angeles
7 posts
Save Topic
Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

We're driving through Colorado the first week of July (from Chicago to Los Angeles). We're hikers and so our are two dogs. Never been to the state, but want to leave it with a great "state of mind." We have 1 week to explore. What are the absolute "must-see" places that will allow our four-legged friends to join us as well?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Do you have any idea what route you plan to take? That would help narrow it down. There are fantastic hikes all over our beautiful state. Colorado is very dog-friendly but there are some areas where dogs are not allowed, and trails where they must be leashed. You can skip Rocky Mountain National Park -- you cannot hike with your dog in the park.

You may also want to do a Google search - there are dozens of websites and books about hiking with your dog in Colorado.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

There are so many great dog places in Colorado, as the prior poster said Colorado is very dog friendly. Our Dogs love Telluride, there is a great town park to play in the river, lots of outside dining and a dedicated dog gondola, oh and plenty of fun hikes and human things also. Aspen is a fun town with lots of great places to hike, shop, dine and generally stroll with dogs but it can be very pricey in the summer. Ruedi Reservoir outside of Aspen, close to the town of Basalt is a great place to hike and let the dogs swim. You may also want to make a drive through Moab, Utah on your way to LA.

I'm happy to get into details if you have any specific places you want to stop. We road trip with our dogs all the time and have a great time.

Happy Trails - DM

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

So pass on RMNP? We were thinking about stopping first in Grand Lake and exploring that area. Is it worth it with dogs? What about Glenwood Springs? Oh...any places to raft/canoe with dogs? Sounds like we should aim for Telluride and Aspen...but what about prior to that, as we'll be coming from Nebraska and dipping down into Colorado from the north? Thanks for the ideas!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Since you said you wanted to hike with your dogs there is no point in going to RMNP because dogs are not allowed on the trails. Dog areas are extremely limited. They are not forbidden, but they aren't really "welcome" for many reasons.

This is from the Park website:

* Dogs are not allowed on trails even if they are on a leash.

* Dogs are not allowed in meadow areas.

* Dogs must be on a leash, not exceed six feet in length, at all times when they are outside of your vehicle.

* Dogs are allowed on roads and in parking areas only.

* Dogs are not allowed on most closed roads as their status may reverts to trails! (See below for more information.)

* Restrictions on this page do not apply to guide dogs accompanying visually impaired persons, hearing ear dogs accompanying hearing-impaired persons or service dogs accompany people in wheel chairs.

It may appear to be a great idea to give your dog a chance to get out of the city and enjoy a day in the mountains, but in reality, it is best if he is left at home. Many of the wild animals in Rocky Mountain National Park have your dog as a cousin -- many including the coyote consider him a natural enemy. The Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Elk and Mule Deer go to the lower altitudes to survive the harsh winds and temperatures of winter and to search for food. There, they encounter the coyote and packs of wild dogs that pursue them in an attempt to make them their lunch. Also, our dog's natural tendency is to protect his territory by barking. The Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Elk and Mule Deer associate any barking animal as a predator

When you bring your dog with you in the car, park animals know they are present and should your dog start barking or if you take him out for a walk, on a leash of course, the large mammals will take off for parts unknown. Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep and Elk stay in one place for hours until one barking dog or leashed or unleashed dog arrives. This spoils the experience for all others who come that day!

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Places to stay in Telluride that allow dogs? What about Glenwood Springs? And Moab for that matter!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Check out Frisco. We are a true dog town, it is often joked you must have a dog if you own a shop along main street. There are tons of people walking their dogs everywhere. Lake Dillon is here and the dogs can jump in. You could rent a pontoon boat and check out the lake with them. We often sit with our dogs at the Island Grill at the Frisco Marina and enjoy great food and cocktails in the summer. There are tons of amazing hikes in our area. The dogs always accopany us (mostly unleashed). Check out Buffalo mountain for a high intensity 6 hour hike to a beautiful view. Or hike Mohawk Lakes in Breckenridge for an average intensity, beautiful hike as well. You could check out Mason town in Frisco for an easy hike, There is sooo much to do in Summit county. I highly recommend staying here a couple nights! Fireworks over Lake Dillon are awesome!

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

A dog in every shop...I love Frisco already! We're definitely putting this town on our agenda so our pups can take a dip in Lake Dillon after a scenic hike in the local mountains. Appreciate the tip.

los angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Dogmama, would love to chat with you in detail about your dog-friendly treks through Colorado and Utah. What's your email address?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

Just click on my name and send me a private message, I would be happy to chat. However I am heading out of town for a week and a couple days on Friday.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colorado "Must-Sees" with Dogs

thepen17,

Sorry it took me so long to get back, working at the dog shop is taking up all of my time. I second/third? Frisco and Lake Dillion, great area, great hikes and some really good beer at the Frisco Brewery (I think that's the name, it's been a few years).

We lived in Vail, Aspen and Telluride for about 10 years so I can give you some suggestions as to where the dog friendly hotels are but I always check the website and then call directly to check the policy since we have 2 large dogs and some places only allow smaller ones.

Glenwood Springs is fun also, there is a nice riverfront park to go play at, it's about 20 minutes to Basalt and 45 to Aspen and quite a bit less expensive to stay there. I don't have any suggestions for hotels but I'm sure someone will. In Aspen there is The Little Nell and the Regis, both very pet friendly and have doggie room service menus, decadent yes but I'm not sure how much you spoil your dogs. Those two are very expensive but there are many others that take dogs that may be better priced. Our pups loved getting BBQ at the Hickory House in Aspen.

We have always stayed at the Peaks in Telluride with the dogs, but I have heard that they changed ownership this past year and I'm not sure of their policy now.

In Moab we always went for a chain place on the southside of town. There are plenty to choose from but only a few allow larger dogs. Our dogs are country pups and we try not to stay right downtown so they don't get sensory overload, it's hard to do your business when there is so much to sniff.

You should be able to message me right at TA and I get to check it in the evenings after the WALK.

Dogmama