We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

I am 38 years old and have only skied twice. The first time was in Aspen when I was 10 and broke my leg (and refused to join my family on their ski trip the following year, choosing to stay behind at grandma's house!) and then two years later at Gatlinburg, TN.

Now I've finally decided to give in to my poor husband's pleading and go on a ski vacation for Christmas of 2008 (I know, worst time to go- but the only time we can get away). I thought Aspen was awful for beginners. I still remember Fanny Hill as being extremely crowded, with experienced skiers whoosing past at high speeds. And it was the only truly gentle slope in the whole darn place- at least from what I remember. And Gatlinburg, which was quite a comedown after Aspen, wasn't a much better situation. I remember the top of the beginner's slope had a challenging icy sharp curve to negotiate right at the top.

So, my question is: What resorts have several "Fanny Hills"? And, even better, do those resorts discourage snowboarders and advanced skiers on those hills?

Thank you for any help.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
349 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour and...
121 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
183 reviews
from US$55.00*
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

Summit County- Breckenridge

You have the choice of Breck, Keystone & A-Basin (although a-basin is not for beginners) & Copper Mtn.

Breck has a good beginner run under the Quicksilver lift. Copper has good beginner runs on the K&L lifts (i think that is what they are called).

The potential problem with X-mas (at any resort) is X-mas time may not have all runs open depending on early season snow. If the early season snow is poor, may only have a few lifts open. And then it can be a free for all with different levels on the limited open runs.

Matt

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

Thanks, Matt.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

First of all, Gatlinburg does not count as skiing. Just forget that experience. Colorado is nothing like that. I, too, tried that before moving here over 20 years ago and it was awful.

I don't really like Breckenridge for beginners, especially when it is crowded. Breck seems to have the worst lift lines. I think Copper and Keystone have better begginner areas that will keep you away from the crowds and fast skiers.

By Christmas, even in bad snow years, they generally have most lifts up and running thanks to lots of snowmaking so I wouldn't worry much about that. I think you'll have plenty to choose from in Summit County in late December.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

1st choice for Xmas season is Deer Valley Utah. They limit lift tix sales, excellent groomed runs, no boarders allowed. deervalley.com/activities_skiing/skiing.html

2nd choice, Beaver Creek.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

I agree with Rachel .I do not care for Breck for beginners, to many runs that intersect with folks not looking as they cross.

Have not been to Copper for years. I like Keystone but then I am partial. One thing though the run to the River Run area gets far to many skiers. I prefer the Mountain House base if you are going to try and ski home, you can take the green run all the way. Plus mountain house base gets far, far fewer skiers than River Run.. If you think you will not get beyond the beginner area then River Run is fine.

I have mixed feelings about Deer Valley the plus is no boarders but the runs are lined with trophy homes. I feel like I am skiing in a subdivision. In some cases you are. I miss the wide open views.

Beaver Creek has a great beginner area too. It is at the top so you get great views and can meet up with your husband at the top for lunch, though it is not as segregated as the beginner areas at Keystone.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

I learned to ski at Durango Mountain Resort (back when it was called Purgatory). This is a great place to learn.. There's a little hill devoted solely to beginners.. and by noon, you can go to the main part of the ski area and do the greens. They're great - nice and mellow. Plus, Durango (the town) is a little less vicious to your checkbook than Aspen, Vail, etc.

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

As you can see, there are MANY opinions on the subject! Personally, I think Copper Mountain is an excellent place to learn to ski again. The mountain is naturally separated so that the expert skiers are on the other side away from beginners. There are many green runs.

The only resort I know of that does not allow snowboarding is Deer Valley UT.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

babalax --Alta too . . .

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

I totally agree with babalax, Copper Mountain imho is the best for beginners, no contest. It has many green runs off to one side with no intersecting blues, a far safer arrangement.

Coral Gables...
Level Contributor
341 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Resort for Beginner Skiers?

Wow! Lots of great advice!

I very much appreciate it.

Thank you for all your replies.