We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver to Mt rushmore distance

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
59 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Denver to Mt rushmore distance

How many hours of driving to Mt. Rushmore from Denver. I figure I am going to be driving an average of 60 mph.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
376 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
604 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
128 Reviews
from US$476.99*
US$499.00
Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

392 / 60 = 6.53 hours of very boring driving especially on I25 in Wyoming.

We did drive last year going from Mt Rushmore to Rocky Mountain NP.

Answer to a previous post question you asked back in Mar how much for parking at Stanley Hotel.,we stopped last year to look around.There was no parking fee then and we took a tour of the whole complex (Stanley Hotel).We stopped on Mon Sep 10.IMO for the price I would avoid it,like most TA reviewers have suggested.

By the way the movie "The Shining" was not filmed here,believe it was filmed in Oregon..

Hope this helps...

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Stanley Hotel
Stanley Hotel
2,965 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

Why would you only be driving 60 mph in Wyoming? The speed limit is much higher, there is nothing to see, and there are very few other cars around. You can probably make better time than that.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

He said an avg of 60 mph not all is intesrstate 25

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

You are right, only the first 225 miles of it are interstate. After that, it is an empty stretch of state highway with a speed limit of 65 miles per hour for at least 75 miles. Then it gets a little hilly and scenic when you cross into South Dakota, but there still isn't any traffic to slow you down much. I still find 60mph a very slow average unless you are towing something.

Mentioned in this post
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

By the way, The Stanley was the inspiration for Stephen King when he wrote the book The hotel was not used in the movie version, but was used in the filming of the mini-series of The Shining.

Mentioned in this post
Stanley Hotel
Stanley Hotel
2,965 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,446 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

We will be doing this trip on May 27. Our friends in Colorado tell us to allow about 6-61/2 hours to make the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

We did the trip from Boulder CO to Custer SD in 6 hours of driving. We did stop for an hour along the way. It is not really that horrible of a drive and is quite different than Miami! I like to imagine what it was like for those that travelled across this area in a covered wagon!!! Makes my airconditioned, sattelite radio, adjustable lumbar support well appreciated!!

Enjoy the trip!

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Custer
Custer
South Dakota
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

Count on some extra time if you come from DIA, can be busy. Count on 7 hours from there with a stop in between. An average of 60mph is reallistic imo.

Tet

9. Re: Denver to Mt rushmore distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 21:18