We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Foliage 2008

Idaho
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Foliage 2008

Hi All,

I'm interested to know how the fall is shaping up in Colorado right now. What's the average temp? Are the nights dropping below freezing up high? How dry was the summer? We're planning 2 weeks out there and I'm trying to decide whether to catch it on the way out or the way home. We'll be on the road from 9/17 - 10/13. We have plans in Kansas and Missouri and I am planning to hit them first and be back in Colorado by 9/24 or 9/25. If it looks like Colorado will peak early, I'll adjust and hit it first.

Anyone have any early input?

Thanks!

MO

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
656 reviews
from US$398.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
367 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Combo Tour: Helicopter and...
119 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Rocky Mountain National Park Day Trip...
108 reviews
from US$125.00*
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

Where in Colorado are you planning to travel? Other parts of the state may be different but where I live (8300' one hour SE of RMNP) nothing is happening yet. We have not had any nights at or below freezing. My husband rode the Peak to Peak Hwy from here to Lyons yesterday and saw no sign of fall color. As it looks right now, I would expect the 24th/25th to be good timing. But as you know, it's always hard to tell. Have a great trip!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

This just goes to show it totally depends on where you are going. I live at 10,000 feet in Summit County. All my flowers have died! :( and yes I was watering them! The flowers in town at 9100 feet still look good. We have had consistent below 0 temps in the middle of the night, I usually wake up to about low 40s. The last week has all of sudden had a fall feel. Everyone has been commented in town "Fall is here, I sure hope it is going to be an Indian Summer!" The Aspens outside my door show no signs of changing, however the bushes are turning yellow. I believe one early snow fall could cause an immediate change, but who knows when it could happen. I would just pay attention as your trip dates approach. I think whenever you come, there will be someplace with beautiful autumn leaves.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

1FourFun... you've had temps below ZERO? Is that celsius?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

Sorry, totally below Celsius!! The temps are around high 20s, low 30s Fahrenheit (in the middle of the night). Thanks for the call out! God, it does not need to be that frigid yet!!!! LOL

Idaho
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

Sorry about the generalization.... :) We're actually going to be crawling all over your lovely state, but some of the specific areas are the Maroon Bells, Cottonwood Pass, Owl Creek Pass, Independence Pass, Georgetown, Telluride, Silverton, Leadville, Crested Butte, Kebler Pass, Rifle, Ouray and Ridgeway. I know some of these areas are quite high and those are the ones I'm most concerned about. We did some travel through Colorado for the foliage in September of 2006 and they had an early cold snap and snow and we pretty much missed most of it. We were there from the 17th - 23rd on that trip.

Thanks all for the input!

MO

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

Lower elevations on the Western Slope had a very dry summer. Higher elevations got more rain, but I would say it has been a below average summer for rain fall. In New Castle, we have been going down to about 42 at night, but days are still warm. My husband will be driving over to Silverton sometime this week, so I will let you know how that looks. We hiked around on the Flattops this weekend, and saw an occasional sign of color change. Mostly in younger (small) trees. I don't think you will need to change your plans since we aren't seeing any real color changes yet.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

Last year and in 2005 you would have been right at the peak the same week that you missed it in 2006. I too have missed it sometimes and I live pretty close to some of the areas you want to travel to. We already have leaves changing along the Colorado river, we've had some cooler nights and a dry summer so it may be early this year - who knows. Actually last year there was color clear into October - it was one of the best years in a long time. For some gorgeous Colorado fall photos see http://www.flickr.com/photos/macrofocus/.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

MO - perhaps if you also post in the Aspen forum you will get some input from the destination expert in that area.

9. Re: Fall Foliage 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 22:24