We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montrose v. Ouray

madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montrose v. Ouray

My wife and I are planning a trip to SW Colorado next July. We would like to stay in Ouray but the hotels are at least $120 a night. I can get a king room at the Holiday Inn Express in Montrose for around $75. Ouray appears to be a much better choice for things we would like to do but is it worth the extra $45 a night? What is Montrose like?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

YES! There is a 40 minute difference; You will almost spend that in gas going back and forth. Plus what if you want to have dinner in Ouray, will you want to drive 40 minutes after a beer. Plus those roads at night are dark and a deer can jump in front of you. You are going on vacation, splurge a little! If it is too much, then wait until you find a better deal, you have plenty of time. Montrose, is um, a good home base for day excursions elsewhere. Good Luck!

http://www.visitmontrose.net/

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
500 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

I would highly recommend staying in Ouray over Montrose. Montrose has none of the views and character of Ouray. While staying in Ouray you are in the heart of the San Juan's with beautiful views. There are tons of outdoor activities and you can't beat the hot springs.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

How long are you staying?

I live in Montrose and it is a great, friendly little city but is in a river valley with mountain views, but not IN the mountains. Good restaurants and shopping. Warm to hot days, cooler nights, dry...usually.

So, it depends on what you like to do...as previously mentioned, Montrose makes a great base for day trips to the nearby mountains, i.e. Grand Mesa, Blue Mesa Reservoir, Buckhorn Lakes, Uncompahgre Plateau, Big Cimarron, Silverjack Reservoir & Owl Creek Pass & numerous hiking trails in that area, fly fishing (the guys at Cimarron Creek on Main Street can tell you where), Little Cimarron for fishing and hiking, and of course the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. You could also easily drive to Ouray/San Juan Mountains for day trips and spend the night in Montrose. (Also check Comfort, Quality, and Super 8 in Montrose or the Country Lodge if you like a clean but not fancy locally owned place)

That said, I would highly recommend you splurge and stay at least part of your vacation in Ouray! It is so beautiful! Have you contacted any of the motels directly to ask about possible specials or discounts?

You might also consider Ridgway for part of your stay. There's a Super 8 there and might be more reasonable than Ouray and is halfway between Montrose and Ouray.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

OURAY! You can stay at Holiday Inn Expresses...anywhere. Ouray is quaint, colorful, and fun. Montrose is a nice little town "outside" the mountains...but why are you going to Southwest Colorado in the first place? Beautiful mountains! :-)

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1,279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

OMGoodness-Quray all the way. Hooray! OK...I'm done. LOL. Quray will have everything you need and are looking for in your vacation. Montrose is nice for conveniences; but like the other poster stated, gas will eat up your money difference. And Quray is the heart of the area. Be sure and see Telluride, also. What plans have you got?

madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

Here is what I have so far.

7/3 fly to gjt arrive at 2:30/Co Nat Monumnent/ouray

7/4 ouray - jeep tour/fish

7/5 ouray - rent jeep go to telluride/million $ hwy

7/6 ouray in am drive to black canyon/stay @HI Exp Salida $70 state

7/7 take bus to maroon bells/tour aspen

7/8 drive to ynp via flaming gorge

7/9 ynp

7/10 ynp

7/11 ynp

7/12 ynp

7/13 ynp

7/14 ynp

7/15 drive to gjt

7/16

7/17 arches/canyonland

7/18 fly out of gjt

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

If you don't arrive until 2:30 in the afternoon in July it is going to be toooo hot to go the Colorado National Monument. I would suggest heading south for cooler temps and doing the Monument on the morning of the 16th. The Monument looks it's best in the morning anyway and it will be so much cooler. Get an early start and take lots of water for both that and Arches/Canyonlands. Glad to see your planning is finally coming together.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,178 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

I guess I'm a Colorado fanatic, but 7 days in ynp and rushing through Colorado to get there? Oh, man, about the second or third day in ynp you'll be kicking yourself to get back to God's country. Admittedly ynp is a special place and worth a trip. But then so, too, is Colorado. How about Estes Park? Great Sand Dunes Park? Mesa Verde Park? or nearby parks in Utah (Canyonland, Arches, etc.)? You could save yourself a lot of miles and enjoy some breathtaking scenery if you focussed on SW Colorado and the 4-corners area for your trip.

9. Re: Montrose v. Ouray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 09:26