We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

swansea
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

Cant decide on Ski or Sun for 40th birthday in December???

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

I think I'd buy a porsche.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

How random; What not ask people who know your interests? I live here, so sun is my vote!?!

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

I vote for ski. Just because. =))

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

How about skiing IN the sun? Of course, one can never guaratee sun anywhere, even on a beach, but there's a good chance you'd have sunny weather while skiing here in Colorado, at least if you stay a week!

Madison,WI
Level Contributor
529 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

We do 2 Sun (dive) to 1 Ski. What was your last vacation?

swansea
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

Skiing in Italy was our last vacation and my two young sons loved every minute. But my wife would prefer the sun!! But she is leaving the decision to me..

swansea
Level Contributor
38 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

Sorry for the random....

I am desperate to visit Colorado and do some skiing.My sons love to ski also. My wife though is partial to the sun holiday but has said that she will be happy to do either. So the choice is mine and any suggestions from an expert for a 10 day ski break aroung December 10th would be Fab..

Thanks

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,724 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

If it is your wife's 40th - I think you better go with Sun. If it is yours, then that is early in the season - really early, especially for an expert. I would wait until the last minute to decide where the snow is falling - there will be availability in all lodging because it is so early. If you are an expert and you come here and only a few runs are open - mostly greens, I think you will be wishing Sun too.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

For that early in the season try Wolf Creek. But there is no lodging on the hill.

I agree that deciding at the last second based on where the snow if falling might be your best choice. If you are intent on booking in advance, book with one of the Summit County resorts. We did a trip to Breckenridge at Thanksgiving and were please to not only have snow, but also the flexibility to use our tickets at any of 5 affiliated resorts: Beaver Creek, Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone, and Arapahoe Basin. That would give you the best shot at having pre-planned (and probably discounted) accommodations, while also allowing for variable snow accumulations early in the season.

Denver
Level Contributor
124 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 40th birthday december. Ski or Sun??

No question about it. Ski! If you want the quiet, family time vacation without a lot of hoopla, spend the time at Monarch, Ski Cooper or Sol Vista. If you want the whole Apres Ski Experience, base yourself near Breckenridge and you have your pick of best in the world. If you're into friendly runs and telling your friends back home about the no-sissies alpine vacation you had at 13,000 feet, then stay in the valley but hang out at A-basin or Loveland.

Whizzing down the slopes in the sun is a lot more fun than just soaking it up on your back!