We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

I am planning a mini trip to celebrate our 20th anniversary Oct 6,7,8 & 9. I am getting a late start planning as we are caretakers of my mother in law and just found out we could steal away for a few days. We are in the Littleton area. My question is I was thinking about the lunch train at the Royal Gorge staying a nite somwhere near there and then moving on to Glenwood Springs for a couple of nights. Would this be a great mix of exploring different areas or is the driving too much for a few day getaway? Any hotel\B&B recomendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
642 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

For a special occasion in Glenwood Springs, treat yourself to the beautiful, historic Hotel Colorado:

http://www.hotelcolorado.com/

I only stayed there once, quite a long time ago, but it was a memorable experience (albeit, costly!). You may want to check out some of their packages to see if any of the activities you wanted to participate in are part of a package deal with the hotel stay.

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

Thanks for suggesting the Hotel Colorado. Regretable they are already sold out-

Suggestions Anyone?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
217 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

That is a lot of driving Royal gorge is at least 5.5 hour drive from glenwood springs. I would maybe just town hop up I/70 from denver to glenwood springs.

beaver creek lodge and the park hyat in beaver creek are two of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in.

LITTLETON
Level Contributor
235 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

Thanks for the replies. Anymore suggestions- so far having trouble finding lodging in Glenwood Springs- help

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary trip exploring Colorado

Steamboat Springs is charming and in a beautiful location. If you decide to go there, you should consider spending all 4 days there. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car.

If you go south from Steamboat to Yampa and then west toward Meeker, there is an incredibly scenic drive - it is marked as a scenic byway. Plan a stop at Trapper's Lake - it is beautiful and secluded.