We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado Hiking

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado Hiking

We plan a week's hiking in mid-June, want to do mild to moderate 3-5 hour hikes among mountains. Cannot decide whether Estes Park or a B and B outside Glenwood Springs in the Roaring Fork valley would be the best base. We want a quiet place and not have to drive too far to start hikes.

Rocky Mountains
Mountains, Geologic Formations
Colorado National Monument
National Parks, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Monuments & Statues
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
656 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado Hiking

I haven't done too much hiking in Glenwood, but my gut says that a week might be too long and you could run out of place to hike that are really close by.

Estes is a good option because you have RMNP right there. The park is full of hikes. You could stay a month and hike every day and not do all of them! Several of the primary trailheads are very close to the main entrance to the park, which will reduce the amount of time you have to drive.

Also, there are plenty of quiet places in Estes to stay. There are lots of cabins and condos for rent along Fall River. most are very quiet and relaxing, so you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to stay! Have a great trip!

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado Hiking

I have not done much hiking near Glenwood either but I am sure that there would be great hikes further north in the Maroon Bells (it would be a bit more crowded too). There are several 14ers in the area but they are not that easy either.

In the San Juans of Southwestern Colorado, there are tons of great hikes (I know you said Glenwood or Estes Park) but since you were from Australia, I thought I would just plug this lesser known area. If you made Ouray (OurayColorado.com) your base camp, you could find 7 days worth of hiking right in town. There are also hot springs in the town. The Ouray Trails group has a website (ouraytrails.org). It isn't the best, but, it does list a ton of trails. Once you get to town, you could purchase their topo map for about $8 and you will see so many places to go. Telluride (visittelluride.com) is only 8 miles away as the crow files but 45 miles as the car drives on paved roads. The mountains are spectacular and they too would be an interesting place as a basecamp.

Other towns like Silverton (silvertoncolorado.com) or Lake City are also good choices. The San Juans are very dramatic peaks and it would be much less crowded than RMNP.

Just an fyi.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado Hiking

Here is a good website that lists the Colorado State Parks and the National Forests in Colorado -http://www.coloradolinks.net/Colorado_Parks/national_parks.htm - as it states it has a "gazillion links to Colorado parks" and should give you lots of ideas for good hiking. Just remember that the altitude will certainly be a factor in the hiking you will want to do since what is considered moderate may be difficult if you are not acclimated. The Roaring Fork area around Aspen has lots of good hikes - fs.fed.us/r2/…index.shtml - is the link to the specific trail information. Just be sure that you are renting from a company that allows you to drive on gravel/dirt roads since many trail heads are well off of paved roads. Most car rental companies in the USA have contracts clearly stating that the vehicle is only to be driven on paved roads. That means if the vehicle gets chipped paint, a cracked windshield, bent bumpers, etc. then you pay quite a hefty fee for repairs and the daily rental fee while it is being repaired.

4. Re: Colorado Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2009, 05:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now