We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

We are driving from camping (Chalk Lake area) to Telluride and want to take in the Balck Canyon of the Gunnison) Which rim should we hit and how much extra time should we allow?

Mentioned in this post
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,016 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

The south rim is very accessible (not far off Hwy 50). I would plan on a half day - you could get through it sooner if you are really strpped for time. Be aware that it is $15; all the more reason to take your time enjoying the views and get your money's worth.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

It depends on what you want to do and how much driving time you want to allow. Yes, the South Rim is much quicker to get to from US 50, and it receives a lot more visitation than the North Rim. I like the campground on the North Rim much better, however, and I think the views are even more spectacular from the North Rim than from the South (although the views are wonderful there as well).

Were you thinking of doing any hiking? I would give the South Rim the edge on that -- more accessible trails.

Or are you just wanting to drive along one of the rim roads and check out the overlooks? Either rim would be good for that. There are more overlooks from the South Rim, but I think the jaw-dropping effect is better on the North Rim.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

When I started planning this trip I wanted to make BCofG a 2 day destination….camping and hiking, maybe boat trip. But with all the info on here I decided to camp around Buena Vista (Cascade or Chalk Lake, or Mt Princeton) and then hit the canyon on the way to Telluride. So now I’m trying to plan as much BCofG on the way. We’re probably just looking for the most scenic drive around the canyon, plenty of hiking at other points on our trip.

Also, what is the best/most scenic way down to 50hiway (from St. Elmo)…I do have 4wd.

Can we do all this and be in Telluride by dinner?

Mentioned in this post
St. Elmo
St. Elmo
341 Reviews
Nathrop, CO
4. Re: north or south rim (BC of the G) and how much time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 06:20