We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more tent camping opinions, please

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
127 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
more tent camping opinions, please

We had originally planned to drive west from Buena Vista and hit Cascade, Mt. Princeton or Chalk Lake to pick the best campground. Now I’m leaning towards going over Cottonwood Pass and then hitting the camping spots on the way down, like Lakeview, Lodgepole, Rosy Lane or One Mile. On the Recreation.gov sites it looks like there are more activities (hiking, biking…) and more shade.

I would live to hear your opinions.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
127 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more tent camping opinions, please

Leaving Saturday...just need a little input. Thanks in advance.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more tent camping opinions, please

Are you looking for an established campground? I assume you are if you're looking on recreation.gov, but I just wanted to check before I give you any suggestions...

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
127 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more tent camping opinions, please

We would probably be more comfortable with that.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more tent camping opinions, please

I really like the Collegiate Peaks campground near the top of Cottonwood Pass, it's pretty heavily wooded with Aspens so you'll have good shade. it has some good views of Mt. Yale if you're in the right site. If you can get a spot next to Middle Cottonwood Creek, those spots are the best.

Lakeview is really nice, as is Rosy Lane if you want to continue down Cottonwood Pass.

If you decide not to go over Cottonwood, there is also some great camping at the Mnt. Shavano/Tabaguache trailhead. It's free, so the sites aren't as established as the other campgrounds, but you're very close the Colorado Trail, which is a great trail to hike. Cottonwood Lake Campground is also very nice, great fishing at the lake!

5. Re: more tent camping opinions, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:19