We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado vacation

Chillicothe, IL
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado vacation

We are a middle age couple looking for vacation advice. We have been to lots of NP's including RMNP.

Would like to visit CO in early Oct. We like 2-6 mi hikes, nature & wildlife. Probably flying into Denver, from midwest. We would love suggestions. Is the Lost Creek Wilderness Area similar to RMNP? Thought we would save southwest CO for another trip, when we can stay 2 weeks. We would like to stay in 1 place for a few days, or the whole week. We absolutely love RMNP. Have been there 3x's, would like to try someplace else. Maybe Breckenridge or Aspen. Love suggestions.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado vacation

I'd look at Aspen it is lower in elevation. Oct weather can be anything so your better off going lower.

Chillicothe, IL
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado vacation

I will definitely check this area. We have been to RMNP in Oct. Could not go across Trail Ridge for 3 days because of snow, but otherwise it was beautiful in the lower elevation. Got to 80 degrees one day. Is there lots of hiking around Aspen?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado vacation

Great hiking all around. You might try posting under Aspen for more specific ideas. Yes it can snow almost any month of the year.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado vacation

I agree that Aspen would be great!

As for your question about Lost Creek Wilderness... I would not compare it to RMNP. I have heard it referred to as a miniature Yosemite Valley -- different geology and scenery with some spectacular rock formations. Great hiking opportunities.

5. Re: Colorado vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 08:15