We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

So ive been checking the snow forecast from multiple sites, and the extended forecast is not looking good for snow in Colorado. Ill be skiing 12/11-15, and I know that is a bit out there, but it looks like no significant snow the next 7 days, then its just another week or so away. Earliest they are saying is 12/5 or 12/6, and that could just be for SW CO.

I guess im wondering, how much weight would you puth in these 15 day forecasts, do they always say sunny/partly cloudy? I just have a bad feeling.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,447 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

I know it has been dry for this time of year. But 15 days out, I find it rare that they get it right. Sometimes even the same day, It is like have you looked out the window???

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

It seems like we all go through this every year and worry too soon. One storm that drops only 4-5" can change everything. Long range forecasts are rarely worth even looking at. You don't mention which resort you're going to, but most have excellent snowmaking capabilities that gives the natural snow something to stick to. The ski towns themselves can have completely dry sidewalks and no piles of snow but the mountain runs are perfectly covered.

It is always unusual to have double black diamond/expert terrain open in early season since you need a great deal more coverage, but most resorts will have good coverage already on a range of greens, blues, and possibly black runs.

Here we are opening tomorrow with top to bottom on Aspen Mountain, all blues at the top of the mountain, and over on Snowmass it will be the entire Big Burn region, top to bottom, and a good diversity of mid-mountain runs. All in all, an average to better than average opening. I would say you should officially not be worried.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

"The ski towns themselves can have completely dry sidewalks and no piles of snow but the mountain runs are perfectly covered."

i would be kind of upset if the only snow i saw was on the runs, I just figured that by mid/early december snow was everywhere in CO mountains, I guess im just that much of a newbie and put too much merit in October storms that drop 2 feet.

ill be skiing at Beaver Creek, Vail, Copper, Wolf Creek and maybe Monarch. I. Only ski Greens and easy blues, but I was hoping to at least see snow on the trees. I should probably stop lookling at the long range forecasts, but I just cant help myself =(

Edited: 25 November 2009, 21:10
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

most of the ski areas have web cams so you can go to the websites and view current pictures. I looked at Wolf Creek just now and it says 100% open.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,380 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

Not much you can do about the weather, but it does change constantly! Weather websites are all different. www.wunderground.com says there is snow coming this weekend.

Come and visit. There will be some runs open at most places. Next time, plan on late Jan and Feb and there should be plenty of snow!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,887 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

Whenever you plan a December trip you have to consider it's early season. That being said, snowfall and snowmaking temperatures have been very good in Colorado and, in my opinion, it's a better than average start.

Seeing snow on trees and sidewalks is really a function of weather at that particular point in time.

Have fun. I wouldn't worry about the weather. I would, however, worry about trying to cover all those resorts in five days, especially getting down to Monarch and Wolf Creek. If that's all the time you have, I would recommend sticking to the I-70 corridor.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

its looking like my wish may come to fruition. =)

hopefully we can extend it into next weekend.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

The forecast is showing some snow from tonite all the way into next wknd. If you're skiing mostly green and easy blues you will be a lot happier if its sunny and clear anyway.

You shoud be fine snowwise by next week at all the places you plan on going and should see snow on the ground and trees.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

I go here for my snow reports....http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Officially getting worried, no snow = 0

It's snowing in the mountains today.

We always check www.snowforecast.com/ColoradoSkiResorts for ski area forecasts.