We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location?

arkansas
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Location?

We are planning a trip this coming summer and I wanted to tackle a 14er. I am traveling with my family and was looking for a location to stay that is close to a 14er. I am looking for a resort location, say, Keystone, Coppper, etc. for the family. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

hotsprings

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,453 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location?

You could stay in Breckenridge and climb Quandary Peak. Grays and Torreys are popular, they are the closest to Keystone. You could stay in Telluride and climb Mt.Wilson. Or go to Buena Vista (though not a "resort"), there are numerous 14ers to climb in the Sawatch Range.

Here's a good website with an interactive map:

http://www.14ers.com/

http://www.14ers.com/14ermap.php

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location?

http://www.fourteeners.org/14er_main.htm is another good website to visit. It lists the 14ers in many ways - by difficulty or by location to towns and then what is available in the towns. Just remember to allow time to acclimate yourself to the altitude - you may want to plan some fun time with the family at a lower elevation (like Denver) for awhile before moving on up the peak.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
643 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location?

I think what you should first do is decide how difficult a hike you're looking for. I certainly wouldn't base this decision on a ski town I want to stay in. Climbing 14ers are really tough, especially for someone who is not from Colorado and isn't as used to the altitude. It would be a shame to stay in Aspen, only to realize you are not equipped or don't have the skill ability to climb the Maroon Bells, you know?

That being said, some of the "easier" (I use that term loosely, because they are all very hard!) 14ers are Beirstadt, Grays, Quandry, Torreys, Shavano and Handies...at least in my experience anyway.

Of those, Quandry is close to Breckenridge, Beirstadt, Grays and Torreys are closest to Keystone (but you'd have to backtrack a bit to get to it), Shavano is close to Buena Vista (although Buena Vista is not a ski resort town, but it is a fun town in the summer) and Handies is kind of between Lake City and Telluride. Lake City isn't a resort town, Telluride is, but your drive will be longer if you stay there.

Quandry seems like it is the closest to an actual resort town. It's a beautiful hike, one of my favorites!

arkansas
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location?

Thanks Rebecci14 - I have a handful of 14ers under my belt but taking the family this trip. I was looking to couple the family with a 14er and wanted to make sure they have the facilities. I don't think beer, granola bars, and a bivy sack will swing it this time!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,090 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location?

Consider the Durango area, plenty of things to do for you and your family and a few mountains to climb in the San Juans. I'm not a climber, but have a famous climber in the family. Look for a good guidebook at your local climbingi store.

Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location?

Grays and Torreys are great - and well traveled. It takes a bit of a drive off of the interstate to get there...but worth it and relatively easy hikes (as 14ers go). You can climb Grays in about 3 hours then cross the saddle to Torreys (takes about 1 hour) and conquer 2 in one day. I took my cousin who lives at a much lower altitude and she had no problem.

arkansas
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Location?

thanks Travelnut - any idea how long from Keystone to G&T trailhead?

8. Re: Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2010, 05:16