We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

We will be staying in Grand Lake for 5 nights come mid June - love to drive around to see what there is to see - but don't like to back track unless we have to - where do you suggestion we to and back a different way to catch some great WOW moments! Hoping to catch some wildflowers.

FYI - already planning to drive to Snowmass to take a Jeep tour and down to Kremmling to the Rusty Spur to take a two hour horseback ride. Plan on spending a full day on Trail Ridge Road also - would you suggest we go down and back around when doing this also as we want to go down to Bear Lake Road - figure we'd pack a lunch and perhaps dinner to.

Thanks - counting the days to our get away

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

I'm not aware of a short, easy way to go all the way down to Bear Lake and get back to Grand Lake without going back over Trail Ridge Road. Another potential options is going to Winter Park for a day. (I also haven't looked at a map, so it may be possible)

HGH
Superior
Level Contributor
40 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

Sounds like you are interested in driving some and seeing different things. We have a cabin in Grand Lake. This would be a long trip, but you could do it. You could drive over Trail Ridge to Estes. In Estes, you could take Colorado 7 (I think- anyway it is the road to Allenspark). When you get down to Allenspark, you could either keep going down to Lyons and then back up to Estes and over Trail Ridge that way ( just to see a couple of different mildly interesting canyons). Or you could take the Peak to Peak highway (I can't remember the number, but it is the road to Nederland) and go all the way down to Black Hawk and Central City (a fun gambling area). From there, you could take either Highway 6 and head to Idaho Springs or go through Central City and take the new, faster 4 lane road to Idaho Springs. From there, you can take I70 west to Highway 40 (Berthoud Pass), which will take you through Winter Park, to Frasier, Tabernash and then Granby, where you'll then get the road to Grand Lake.

A shorter drive could be to go over to Granby and then turn right to Hot Sulphur Springs. We like the Hot Springs there- it's about 17 dollars a person, I think. . You could then go over to Kremmling and then take the road to Silverthorne and Dillon. There are outlet malls there and Breckenridge is only a short drive from there. Then you could get on I70 and go through the Eisenhower tunnel and back down to the Georgetown area (it is a cute little mountain town with a fun train loop and a gold mine tour). Before you get there, you'll go through Silver Plume. There are some ladies there who have a lovely tea room. The town looks like it's a ghost town, but just look on the main street for the tea room. Then takee I 70 to the highway 40 over Berthoud that way. This last one is much more reasonable in a day, I think.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thinking of going up over the trail ridge road from Denver to get to Grand Lake so we can start our trip as soon as we arrive but I'll have to see how we feel after traveling from the east coast.

Also thinking of doing the dillon water taxi to Frisco - walking around then taking it back.

I'm sure once we get a good map we will be good to go.

4. Re: Suggestion needed for scenic loop drive from Grand Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:16