We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to ski for beginners?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Best place to ski for beginners?

We are a family of two adults and three children (16, 13, 9) and would like to have a nice family ski vacation in a comfortable ski-in/ski-out resort in Colorado from Dec 18 to 23. Any recommendations?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
615 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
130 Reviews
from US$473.99*
US$499.00
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

i learned in keystone about the same time of year (years ago) great place to learn and family place (also has lots of grenn terrain)

Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

If you are willing to consider skiing in Montana, Lone Mountain Ranch near Big Sky (about 60 miles from Bozeman) is a superb place. It is primarily a cross-country ski resort, with many miles of groomed trails, but it is within easy reach of the downhill skiing at Big Sky Mountain, and a free shuttle bus runs back and forth several times a day. Lone Mountain Ranch has wonderful cozy cabins and a gorgeous dining room with very good food, plus a ski shop and lessons. Service is terrific, and van transportation is free from and to the Bozeman airport. My husband and I have stayed here at least seven times. My one suggestion is to verify ahead of time that there is ample snow--which there usually is.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

The second time I skiied, was in Breckenridge, Colorado. There is a nice ski-in/ski-out resort, the Beaver Run, there among others.

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

Most of the large ski resorts in Colorado have comfortable ski-in/ski-out accomodations, and most large resorts cater to families. Do you have any more specific needs? What is your price range? What are you looking for in a resort?

For example, if price is no issue, I would recommend Aspen. A stay in Aspen, however, would not offer good ski-in/ski-out accessibility to easy slopes (everything on Aspen mountain is intermediate or above). You would need to take a shuttle to Buttermilk for good beginner skiing. Either Keystone, Winter Park, or Copper Mountain would be less expensive, and all have good access to beginner slopes, but the resorts themselves don't offer as much in the way of amenities.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

I would highly recommend copper mountain, their ski school has been rated best in the nation for the past several years. It is a very friendly resort and is really fun. The accommodations aren't technically ski in ski out because they have heated sidewalks, but the condos are right on the slopes.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

Snowmass Colorado (fly into Aspen, 5 minute drive to Snowmass from there) is the only place to go, its the best all around mountain with something for everyone, beginners, intermediates and experts alike. You can stay in Snowmass and ski 4 different mountains with the same ski pass, its not crowded and its positively beautiful. I can't recommend a hotel or lodge for a family of your size, we get a room at the Pokolodi Lodge, ski in and ski out but they only have single rooms, nothing for a family. Enjoy your vacation and the mountain.

Missouri and Ohio
2 posts
7. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

I've been looking at Cooper Mountain and saw your post. Do you have any specific suggestions for convenient condos for a family of 4?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

This post is three and half years old. I suggest you post a brand new question for folks to answer.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

There is no better place to ski in Colorado than Snowmass Mountain - perfect for families. The mountain is huge with great terrain, plenty of slopes for beginners, intermediates and plenty for the wild and crazy extreme skiers also. They cater to families and have the best ski school anywhere. I learned to ski at Snowmass after trying several other schools in Tahoe and Mammoth, I found Snowmass to be the best. There are plenty of slopeside accommodations, for a couple the Pokolodi Lodge is economical and you walk just a few yards to the slopes. For a family there are plenty of slopeside condos of all price ranges. Snowmass Mountain is my favorite ski resort and I've skied at plenty of them. I visit Snowmass 4 times a year (from California) if you want any other info I'm happy to give you what I can.

Tx
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
10. Re: Best place to ski for beginners?

Try Beaver Creek! It is a family friendly place with excellent beginner skiing and warm cookies served at the base of the mountain daily - great for the kiddos. A bit pricey, but they're motto says it all "Not exactly roughing it!"