We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen December 2010

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Aspen December 2010

I have a few questions about Aspen... I am planning a trip with my Husband to NYC late November 2010 then wanted to head to Aspen for Skiing around 2nd December 2010.

Will there be enough snow then?

I just don't want to waste a trip if there won't be enough. If there isn't, where would you suggest we visit instead of Aspen? Anywhere in the US that is great for tourist attractions.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen December 2010

For any resort, it's always a little bit more of a gamble for very early season snow, but the resort has extensive snowmaking to put down a base that new natural snow adheres to very well. I would say you'll be perfectly fine, unless you are both expert skiers and after the steepest terrain. That is very unlikely to be open by then since more snow is needed to fill in the spaces and cover the base. If you ski blues and blacks you'll probably have a great time...weather dependent of course.

Beyond that, if you choose to take skiing off the list and go somewhere else, it's a very, very broad question without knowing what you like to do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen December 2010

Thanks Jennifer74 :) That helps a lot! Yeah we aren't the best of skiers. But like a few challenges. The beginning of the ski season over there sounds similar or even better conditions to our entire ski seasons over here :)

Cheers.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen December 2010

I spend quite a bit of time in Australia each year, and I can promise you our early season is usually better than the best day of your peak ski season, so knowing that, you will be just fine on early season snow in Colorado.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen December 2010

While it's not the best time of the season, if you have the opportunity then go. There will be skiing. Check snow reports in the week before your trip to see if you have to adjust. Other options closer to Denver that would be worth considering early season would be Breckenridge and Keystone, also Vail/Beaver Creek.

I'm often in Aspen the weekend prior for the Audi FIS World Cup ski races and there is almost always some decent skiing, albeit limited terrain.

Have fun.

5. Re: Aspen December 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 06:28