We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More questions on possible itinerary

midwest
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
More questions on possible itinerary

Hi,

I'm back with more questions and asking for suggestions :)

Here is a link to my first post about our southwestern trip in July 2011:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k37623…

I've been looking at pictures and doing some reading and have found some places that were suggested that look interesting to us.

We're an active family (early 50's but in reasonable shape--not tri-athletes though!).

We like to dive, hike, bike, raft, canoe, LOVE animals and nature, photography, cultural things, and see interesting and off the beaten track places sometimes.

We're still sticking with the Grand Canyon for sure. We liked the prices at the Bright Angel lodge (regular rooms w/private bath). Seems like a good happy medium between price and location.

Our favorites of the places that were suggested are:

Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Antelope Canyon, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, Durango, Sante Fe, and Taos.

Do any of you see a pattern in what we might like? Does an itinerary come to mind? Any other suggestions?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More questions on possible itinerary

With those destinations in mind, you might think of flying to Albuquerque instead of Denver.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More questions on possible itinerary

I agree with Missp - the pattern I see if you want to explore more of the desert southwest, canyon, ruins, etc, with the destinations you've listed:

Fly into Albuquerque

Drive to Grand Canyon (consider a side trip to Sedona too - neat rock formations)

Drive to Lake Powell (I've rented sit on top kayaks from Twin Finn in Page (twinfinn.com/Kayak_Rentals/kayak_rentals.html) and explored from Antelope Point Marina - fun way to see Lake Powell)

Drive to Mesa Verde

Drive to Durango (you will drive through Pagosa Springs on the way to Sand Dunes - stop by the hot springs, if you like to soak)

Drive to Sand Dunes - Zapata Falls is worth the side trip and short hike

Drive to Taos - consider a stop in Ojo Caliente - great hiking and hot springs

Drive to Santa Fe

Fly out of Alb - a hour from Santa Fe

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More questions on possible itinerary

I like the trip Pagosa has given you. Flying into Albuquerque is easy, even from Denver - Southwest Airlines sometimes has flights for $49!! www.southwest.com

4. Re: More questions on possible itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 07:30