We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
NH
Level Contributor
109 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
good mountain for 1st time easterners?

Four of us--late 50's- are planning a first time ski trip to Colorado sometime in Feb. (date is flexible) . We're mostly very good intermediate skiers. We don't mind steepness, but do better on wider trails for turns. Can anyone suggest a mountain resort? I've looked them over and am totally at a loss at which one to pick, having never skied out west before. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,453 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

Oh gosh no wonder your at a loss, most offer wider trails than you are used to!

To better help you it would help us to know a bit more.

budget?, Flying into Denver or can you fly into any airport? Dine in or mostly put for fine dining? Condo VS hotels?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

I recommend Aspen-Snowmass. Fly into Aspen, no need to rent a car. Lots of choice on mountains and trails to ski at your level. Many lodging choices, good restaurants and night life. Hard to beat.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

Winter Park, Copper Mountain or Steamboat would be worth looking at. I guess it also depends on what you want to spend for lodging.

NH
Level Contributor
109 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

We can fly into any airport--we were looking for a ski on/off condo so we could have some of our meals there. We hoping to get some kind of package combining a week's worth of skiing, and condo. Plane tickets can be included or separate. An acquaintance suggested Beaver Creek, but from what I've been reading, that's high end. We were looking for something middle of the road.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

Winter Park/Mary Jane would be a good middle of the road resort, flying into Denver.

Durango Mtn in the SW corner of the state is great as well, flying into Durango.

Steamboat flying into Steamboat

Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge, flying into Denver

Greentown...
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

If it is your first time to Colorado I would suggest going to Vail. Fly into Eagle airport (EGE) and your only about 40 minutes away from Vail. I like to stay in Lionshead Village.....they are plenty of condo type accomodations available in either Vail Village or Lionshead Village.......just use Trip Advisor.....and you can find them all.....I personally like Lion Square Lodge....ski in/out next to gondola in Lionshead.

Once in Vail.....no car needed....because of the great free bus throughout Vail. I use Colorado Mountain Express to take me to and from the airport on arrival and departure days.....

Being a fellow East Coaster...I can assure you that the terrain you find at Vail will blow you away...spend a day in the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin and I can assure you that you have seen any better in your life as an East Coaster......Of course there are places out west that are more difficult and cheaper....but if this is your first trip out west....there is no better place to start than Vail...it is so big, and has terrain for all abilities.......it is a great measuring stick......I started going there as my first trip out west....and I continue to visit every year.....great place.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 13:13
7. Re: good mountain for 1st time easterners?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 06:17