We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

Saint John, Indiana
Level Contributor
390 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

I only have 4 days and the plan is to ski at each one of these places everyday. We will probably night ski at keystone at least 1 or 2 nights also.

Thursday Breckinridge, friday Vail, saturday Beaver creek and keystone at night and sunday Breck. Is this too much skiing in 4 days and will we be too tired? None of us have ever skiied 2 days in a row so we arent sure how its gonna go. If anyone has simular stories about doing this please let me know. THANKS!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

When we go on a ski trip, we ski six days in a row--and we're in our 60s--so it wouldn't be too much skiing for us. But, we know, from being on group trips, that lots of people don't like to do that. Breckenridge is very high, so you'll want to take into account how the altitide effects you.

But, unless we're at an area where we've skied before, I don't like going to a new area every day--by the time we get to know where the runs we like are, the day is over. When we've skied that part of Colorado, we either do 4 days at Vail and 2 at Beaver Creek, or 3 at Keystone and 3 at Breckenridge.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,229 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

Might as well go for it. If you are doing this, you might want to base yourself in Frisco.

Since you are skiing multiple mtns.,I would consider substituing Copper Mtn. for Breck on the Sunday. Copper is great and will be less crowded than Breck on a Sunday.

The Beaver Creek/Keystone at night day might be a tad ambitious to 4 days of straight skiing as they are nowhere close to one another but that is your call based off of your fitness and adjusting to altitude.

Matt

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

"Is this too much skiing in 4 days and will we be too tired?"

short answer is, yes. Why kill yourself? Beaver Creek then Keystone at night on your third day is more than you will be able to handle, unless you're Chris Davenport, and you're not. Chill apres-ski and relax.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

Seriously. Chill and enjoy your vacation. Yeah it can be done - but you will be getting up early, hitting traffic over the pass to eagle county, and driving back home without any apré drinks. Why not just learn the mountain and stick with one area. Four days is nothing (really 3 and a half) - it will be over in the blink of an eye, stick with Breck and go check out Keystone all day one day.

I also think you are setting yourselves up for an altitude headache (which can last the whole vacation) by jumping into skiing the first afternoon you arrive. You should check that the four day is not actually a 3 out of 4 day pass - this may be why it was the same price as the 3 day. Also you should go to the season pass office and pick up your passes - make sure to read the southwest airlines fine print.

IMHO - you are planning too much with all these questions. Relax, enjoy each others company, and have fun!

Edited: 15 November 2010, 18:24
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

Each resort is so different in ambiance, ski conditions, trails, and of-course price.

Beaver Creek. I haven't skied BC in years. It's beyond my capabilities. I hear it is a great mountain with lots of expert runs. Not much at the bottom. This (and Vail) is where the "beautiful people" go. Good (and expensive) restaurants. Not much at the bottom beyond condos and other developments.

I haven't skied Vail in 15 years - that being said it is a great skiing experience, huge with trails for all capabilities, not to mention their back bowls. Ski runs are long. You will get tired. You could ski there the entire time and still not come close to enjoying what the mountain has to offer.

That being said, it is expensive and I personally don't care for the atmosphere. The town is too (how can I say this . . .) pretentious for my tastes (but is worthwhile going to in the summertime when it's much lower key and more "real" people are there).

Copper is a good mountain for expert skiing. Much smaller than Vail, and not much of a town, it's good for a day. Good bumps. Expert runs tend to be on one side of the mountain with beginners on the other. Intermediate runs tend to be mid mountain and short.

Breckenridge has grown over the years there's skiing for everyone, and a real town to hang out in at the end of the day, or during the day if you want to take a day off. You will hear languages from all over the world here. Lots of families. It does tend to be a cold resort and can be windy.

Because this is a real town (and generally feels like it) there are a variety of things to do here.

Keystone was built essentially as a resort for the convention business. There's skiing for everyone, you can find bumps or the flats, black diamonds to green runs. Not much of a town at the bottom.

Don't waste your time trying to ski everything try to pick a place (or 2) that suit your skiing and personality preferences and enjoy it. Each mountain definitely has it's own traffic patterns (like rush hour going home from work ) of skiers. Get to know the mountain and enjoy it.

Have fun!

Edited: 15 November 2010, 18:55
Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

I'm not sure what your skiing background is, but Colorado mountains are BIG mountains. I know many people who are used to local ski hills or small ski areas in the east come out here with the idea of skiing every mountain just to say they've done it but realize that's not the best way to go.

Guests to these mountains can spend their entire holiday exploring just one mountain without going to the others. Additionally, the lifts at most Colorado resorts are very up to date allowing you get more runs by lunch time than someone could do all day 20 years ago. As someone else mentioned you'll miss the entire package including apres ski, hot tub time, etc if you are constantly on the move. And my own $0.02 on night skiing is that kids seem to love it and it's a mostly overrated experience to everyone else. You'll have plenty of runs as I mentioned without thinking your legs will be up for skiing at night as well. Enjoy the restaurants and bars and the rest of the entire package that brings people to these resorts.

7. Re: Is it crazy to Ski Vail, Breck, Keystone and Beaver creek?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 07:40