We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atv riding for younger kids

illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
atv riding for younger kids

we are planning a trip to Ouray/Ridgway area in July of 2011. I am looking for an ATV rental place that will allow my 10.5 year old twin boys to ride by themselves on the smaller ATV's. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on a company that will allow that? They will be so disappointed if they aren't allowed to do that. Thanks for your help in advance

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atv riding for younger kids

If you were bringing your own ATVs, Colorado does allow unlicensed drivers over the age of 10 under the direct supervision of a licensed driver. I do not know of any rental companies in the area that rent children's ATVs, probably because of insurance issues but also because many of the roads and trails are steep, off camber, narrow, rocky (both boulder-type and slippery shale), and also used by jeeps and other 4WD vehicles. Not a great place for kids to learn to drive. (And I'm speaking as mom/grandma of a bunch of dirt bike riders and an ATV rider myself) All the ATV rentals I've looked up anywhere in Colorado only rent to licensed drivers 16 or older.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atv riding for younger kids

CO law says that the operator must possess a driver's license or vehicle operator's license or be under the direct supervision of an adult. The companies who rent out equipment have no way of knowing how closely you will supervise your kids and the insurance rates must be through the roof as it is so there probably won't be anyone likely to risk their business' future on renting to kids. (Liability insurance is required in Ouray County by law for ATV users.) The Ouray/Ridgway/Silverton area has very strict law enforcement concerning ATV use, the area is known for it's fantastic scenery and historic ghost towns and makes sure no ATV users destroy those things by not obeying the rules.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atv riding for younger kids

Also, I think I was unclear...the companies I've looked at rent to an adult licensed driver but each operator in the party must be 16 or older and have a driver's license. Some say specifically driver's license and some say "or valid learner's permit allowed" with adult supervision.

4. Re: atv riding for younger kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:40