We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip - Please help

Indiana
Level Contributor
85 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
May trip - Please help

Hi -

We are planning to fly into Denver and drive over to Grand Junction to see some friends in May. We have never been to Colorado, so we are really looking forward to the trip.

We have several extra days, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest some must see areas and attractions between Denver and Grand Junction. Also, we are not opposed to driving other roads besides I-70.

Thank you very much for any suggestions. If you have any resort/hotel recommendations, I'd appreciate those also.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip - Please help

I dont know if they're "must-see" attractions, but Vail and Aspen are very much along the way to GJ from Denver. Of course, so are alot of the other mountain towns, so as far as that goes you can pretty much take your pick.

Boulder isn't too far from Denver and has a decent though very typical pedestrian mall downtown (it's alot like Fort Collins and Estes Park downtown if you've ever been there). But it does have the Open Space and Flatiron mountain parks west of the CU campus.

That's about all I've got.. but the interstate system around Denver is, in my opinion at least, very easy to use, so if you happen to see anything along the way while you're driving, it shouldn't be hard to get to it and get back on your way west.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip - Please help

Not to downplay the beauty of the Colorado Rockies, my first inclination would be to recommend that you visit Moab, Utah, no more than a 90-minute drive west of Grand Junction. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are there and you couldn't ask for more spectacular western scenery. Arches contains beautiful and very accessible rock arches, the likes of which you won't see elsewhere. Canyonlands is awesome in its vistas, rivaling the Grand Canyon in some places. It can be seen from above or below. Moab is a great town with a lot of choices in hotels and restaurants. May is a good time to visit before it gets brutally hot in the summer.

Another suggestion, in Colorado, would be to detour just a little south off I-70 and visit Aspen. I love that town and it's not for only the fabulously wealthy! You can find economical lodging and restaurants, if you need that. The Maroon Bells area is quintessential Rocky Mountain scenery, one of the most photographed peaks in the world!

Glenwood Springs (where you get off I-70 to get to Aspen) is another interesting town famous for its hot springs pool. Renting bikes and traveling along the bike path on the Colorado River through Glenwood Canyon is a popular activity, as well as a short but steep hike to Hanging Lakes.

Whereever you visit, you'll love it. May is great time for traveling in Colorado, although snow is not out of the question, so keep tuned to the forecast to avoid any unpleasant traveling surprises!

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May trip - Please help

i have to agree with shaken bake, i would definately go to moab. we went last year and it was well worth the drive. be sure to take the scenic route (103?), unbelievable scenery. don't miss colorado nat'l monument while you are in grand junction.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: May trip - Please help

Boulder is like Ft. Collins? They're crazy.

And come to Colorado but go see Moab? They're crazy too.

I reccommend to goto Glennwood Springs too. It's along your way. I'd also goto Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs - and hour South of Denver and goto to the top of the mountain. You could also goto Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park.

There seem to be a lot of people asking this question, maybe we could get a Colorado Places To See from a Denver moderator posted up that could solve a lot of these questions?

Tyler, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: May trip - Please help

In May, you may encounter snow in areas with mountains, but usually not on the roads. Take warm clothing. We are regular travelers, and in our opinio, Colorado is the most beautiful state of the 50. If you have the time (allow one day)turn off Interstate 70 at State Hwy 82 and go only about 3 or 4 miles to Hwy 133 South. Go past Redstone, Co. to just past Paonia Reservoir and watch carefully for: CR 12/Keeber Pass Road. Turn left (the only way you can turn) on CR 12/Keebler Pass Road. This is a well-maintained dirt road. Drive about 5 to 8 miles, watching carefully on the RIGHT for a sign that says: "LOST LAKE." Turn right at this sign. Park and find the Trail Head. It is about a 2 to 3 hour Easy to Moderate hike to the top of the mountain. This is the most beautiful site you will see in Colorado. This will be very isolated in May, and I would not expect others to be on the trail then. Again, make sure you start the hike by 11 AM in the morning. Also, pack rain gear, just in case. On a map, you will notice that had you kept going on CR 12/Keebler Pass Road, you will pass Keebler Pass and then will end up in Crested Butte, Colorado. If you come to Keebler pass, you have gone past Lost Lake. Again, this is a pretty isolated area. In the summer months, there is a park ranger there. I do not know about May.

Good Luck,

Tyler, Texas

P.S.: We went to Colorado twice last year, and we are going again in July.

Keller, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May trip - Please help

I was hoping to get more info on Lost Lake from TylerTex. We're not hikers but am intrigued by your discription of Lost Lake. We'll be in that area during July. I can't find this lake on any map or Colorado website. Do you have more info? Would this hike be too much for a novice?

Thanks

Keller, TX

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May trip - Please help

Hi KellerTex, maybe you should repost this as a new thread. This is a very old thread and people won't be looking at it with the info you need. Be sure to put Lost Lake in the title. Good luck!

8. Re: May trip - Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 19:16