We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

Help! I would like to take a trip to CO but am so confused about where to go. My main priority would be to stay in a hotel that has an on-site spa, excellent sheets and of course, superior service. I guess it goes without saying that we would like to be able to ski but probably only 1-2 days of skiing. I am a novice and my husband is fairly accomplished (but primarily an East Coast skier).

We also love nice dining (wine, steak, a beautiful wedge salad) and are pretty social people so will make friends wherever we go. We don't mind "off the beaten path" and don't want to feel like we are being "herded" but do want some activities to do (mainly the aforementioned).

Where should we go? I'm so confused about whether Vail, Steamboat, Avon, Beaver Creak or even Telluride would be the best pick...

Can anyone comment on the Lodge and Spa at Cordillera? I was about to book it when I saw a review saying the spa was "icky". I do not want to be disappointed by the spa!!! and apparently rooms are outdated? Please let me know if you have insight.

If it helps, my favorite spa on the East Coast is the "Top Notch Resort and Spa" www.topnotchresort.com/vermont-day-spas.php in Vermont - would love something comparable but cannot pay $800/night for the Ritz (maybe $250/night).

Hubby can't get out of work obligations during March so we are planning to go during the first 2 weeks in April.

Will skiing still be good?

I know I'm asking for a lot. Any advice welcome!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

I haven't been to Cordillera for years, it was nice, I don't believe they have renovated recently. It sits on top of a mesa in a planned community, not really close to anything. I always felt the hotel and spa was an amenity for the homeowners, no real competition where they are.

In Vail The Sebastian is newly renovated and has a nice spa and good ski/spa package deals on their site. The new Four Seasons is across the street and has a very nice spa that you could hang out at even if you aren't staying there. The Lodge at Vail has a newly renovated spa that is very nice and the hotel is situated right at the slopes. The Sonnenalp is very well know for their spa and quality level. The Hyatt in Beaver Creek has a nice spa and great proximity to the slopes.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

Thank you for all the ideas- I will check those out.

Any thoughts on the Viceroy?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

The Viceroy is very nice, Snowmass has great skiing and Aspen is just a free shuttle bus away. If you do head there try to get a flight to the Aspen Airport, it will be more expensive than flying into Denver, but you won't need to rent a car at all.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

Awesome, thanks for all your help again. It's looking like Aspen may win out over Vail (to my surprise). Your help has been great. I thought I would be saving money by flying into Denver but it sounds like it may be worth it to fly straight into Aspen.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

If you are considering Aspen the Viceroy would be only 1 of several places to look at. I found the Viceroy decor very cold and dark --French minimalist I'd say-- even though I did tour the spa and it looks inviting. Hallways are too narrow but the rooms/bathrooms are outstanding with great little kitchens -- Wolf stove, SubZero frig, All Clad cookware, but again the decor doesn't say ski resort IMO. While the kitchen is nice eye candy you're in Aspen with incredible places to eat so why care. Outdoor pool area is rich.

If you can pay the $$$ for the Viceroy also check out the St. Regis directly in Aspen with nearly ski in-ski out access and a great spa. http://www.stregisaspen.com/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

So much to think about and I'm glad to hear from someone who has actually seen things (rather than trying to figure things out from the corporate stock-photos). Thank you again!

The St. Regis would be awesome but for some reason (online sale pricing?) is actually much pricier than the Viceroy. It may be due to the dates we are going... not sure if that is a fluke or something. Anyway, my husband actually really enjoys "modern" decor (although my tastes run a bit more eclectically traditional) so I think it may actually be a good fit - and the lower price doesn't hurt!

I am looking at nixing the rental car but the hubby isn't altogether convinced yet. :)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,682 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

Look into The Peaks in Telluride. www.thepeaksresort.com

Have not been in the spa in a few years, but it was lovely. Also access to steam rooms, etc.

For the ultimate, look into Dunton Hotsprings. No skiing there, but could drive to Telluride for the day. www.duntonhotsprings.com

Camels Garden Hotel in Telluride has a nice spa inside and is right next to the gondola and also lift 8.

8. Re: Where oh where do I go to Spa, Ski, & relax in Colorado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2012, 06:41